John Deere Gator Forums banner

RSX 850I Exhaust

16K views 12 replies 9 participants last post by  ROB RSX 850I 
#1 ·
Hello all, I've had my Sport version 850I for about 4 months now and have been noticing the area around the O2 sensors in the exhaust will turn cherry red within a few minutes of riding. Idling doesn't seem to bring up to temp enough for the glow, but any riding for 5 min or more does. Slow or fast speed doesn't change things. Took it to the dealer after the first few weeks of noticing, and they said JD was aware and that it was normal. you can certainly smell it, not necessarily a burning smell, and was just curious if other on here had the same experience. I can only imagine how hard those sensors would be to remove when they finally needed replacement...

#2 ·
I have not noticed that at all with mine. I need to pay attention to that. Thank you for bringing that up and welcome to the forum!!!!!!!!!!!!

#3 ·
Thanks for the welcome Batman. The glowing came from the threaded port in the side of both exhaust headers under the bed behind the cab. Really visible at night if you flipped the bed up. The dealer didn't seem alarmed, and it hasn't really posed a problem. (As long no dry leaves get there...) Other wise I've been extremely happy with the unit. Only other quirk is a slight squeak in the left rear wheel disc brake. I'm guessing where the pads slightly rub the disc, as applying the brake makes it go away. Haven't really gotten to take it out for any hard trail riding, mainly just around the farm and hauling firewood.

#5 ·
I need to check mine out one night.

#6 ·
Doesn't seem to bother anything otherwise. I do try to check the area for dead leaves and debris from time to time. Evidently these engines run pretty hot for the front end of the exhaust to get that red. At first I wondered if it was running too lean, but I would like to think being EFI, that shouldn't become an issue. Maybe some other owners out there will pick up on this thread and weigh in.

#7 ·
I noticed the hot cherry glow on a long ride yesterday. My concern is what if I go on a long ride and put gasoline in the back or a chainsaw and it leaks out and goes under the bed that could start a fire. I also was riding down dirt roads ranging from 20 miles an hour up to 50 for about nine or 10 miles and the heat coming by the shifter was extremely hot. I could not leave my hand on the seatbelt or it would burn me.
This cherry glow is a fire hazard regardless for the amount of money I paid for this machine I should not have to check for twigs in branches and not have to worry about something leaking on the bed underneath

#9 ·
Hot exhaust

We have 2 of them and they both get red hot. Cab heat is an issue in the summer. We found the front windshield and canopy make heat unbearable. Go to the half windshield and it's much cooler. Definitely don't need a cab heater for winter. Has anyone tried an exhaust upgrade like Muzzy to see if that resolves some of the heat?

#11 ·
Exhaust

We have 2 of them and they both get red hot. Cab heat is an issue in the summer. We found the front windshield and canopy make heat unbearable. Go to the half windshield and it's much cooler. Definitely don't need a cab heater for winter. Has anyone tried an exhaust upgrade like Muzzy to see if that resolves some of the heat?
I think it is the motor and exhaust will not help. Driver and passenger are sitting on the motor

#10 ·
I purchased a large plastic tray (one of the trays you put in the trunk area in a mini-van to protect the carpet) that I use in the back of the Gator when added gas to the chain saw so I do not get bar oil or gas on the gator bed.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.