John Deere Gator Forums banner
1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just had my new rsx 850i gator in a little bit of mud and water approx. 15". Just to find out that water and mud can enter the transmission through the dip stick tube? I took it to the dealer so they could see what could potentially happen if the machine was in water and mud. They replaced the transmission oil and noted the concern. Unfortunately I still have the same dip stick which doesn't fit properly to avoid this from happening again. I will have to adapt something so this doesn't happen to me while I am 30 kms. in the bush and wait for more people to complain about the same issue so John Deere can correct the problem through a recall. Which could possibly cost them more in the long run by unnecessary repairs which could have been avoided through proper research and replacement.

·
Registered
904 Posts
Welcome to the forum!!!!!

Thank you for bringing this to everyone's attention. I mud and water ride here at home and I need to check into this now.

Thanks!!!!!!!!!

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Air intake

I purchased the 850 i solely on the reputation John Deere has. I wish I would have looked it over a little better before doing so through. After my water & mud in the dip stick issue I started to pay closer attention to the potential issues water may play with the machine. I now realize that a person would be taking a huge risk by taking this machine in water above 15" in depth, water has the potential not only to pass through the transmission dip stick tube but also into the air intake housing unit? this looks impressive enough from the outside but take a closer look. The clutch intake isn't even fastened to the breather box, they have a make shift drain diaphragm on the driver side of the box, the box doesn't have a water tight seal at all, and take a good look over the snorkel tube itself. After doing so you will realize that the whole air intake system needs to be replaced to ensure it has a water tight seal. The only thing good about the air intake is the filter.
I still need to look it over a little better, when I spoke not only to the mechanic but also the sale person about the water in the transmission, both of them immediately suggested the transmission breather line? Has this been an issue in the past I ask?

·
Registered
43 Posts
Thanks for the info I also have a river that I ride in and need to check it also and may need to add some silicone if its not to bad and raise the vent for the transmission. Thanks again.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I have just wrapped the dip stick and tube with electrical tape to ensure that water can't penetrate through this location again if the same scenario were to ever arise. Hopefully at some point John Deere will recall the water issues with there "GATOR" After all how embarrassing would that be if a machine called the gator can't go through water.

·
Registered
43 Posts
Mike on the transmission vent line does it connect to the back diff having trouble finding the the back diff vent line and transmission vent line. Where is it located if anyone knows thanks

·
Registered
13 Posts
Sorry Mike I found it
ITs behind the panel where the gas cap is. They both hit a T on the frame and then route up the roll bar and back down.
This needs to be modified in the following way......
Inline filter to catch dust
extended all the way up the roll bar with a longer piece of line. This will ensure it doesn't suck water in if you get to seat depth. I changed my diff & tranny fluid after a 60 mile ride this weekend and it (rear diff) had water in it. I also noticed oil coming out of the line.

·
Registered
904 Posts
If I ever get my shop together (I just moved) I will do a complete tear down and build up of sealing and snorkeling. I will do a write up. Thanks y'all for all of this, this helps me look for things to seal or give attention.

·
Registered
242 Posts
I ended up putting breeze bands around all of the connections I could find...I did not run it up to the roof...but I will tonight...Keep in mind the front diff vent only goes up to the storage box.

·
Registered
51 Posts
Based on the above comments I looked over my machine and I guess I have been luck no issues as of yet but I am not taking any chances I ordered my snorkel kit today!

·
Registered
904 Posts

·
Registered
159 Posts
This is another snorkel Mud Industries produces. I don't like the design of them as well though, the kit I have ordered is coming from Snorkelyouratv.

·
Registered
2 Posts
2012 rsx850i want start after going into water hole

I am super new to this forum and I have a 850i gator sport that has only 200 miles and after going into a small water hole I parked it out front of my house and next day would not start back.. !! Its not fireing on passenger side cylinder! ! And its not the spark plug or coil wire .. what could it be? The driver side cylinder is fine.. somebody said there's a fuse for the coil pack does anybody now which one it is? Need help bad!!!

·
Registered
904 Posts
Welcome to the forum case101!!!! Hopefully someone will chime in soon with some help.

·
Registered
51 Posts
I am super new to this forum and I have a 850i gator sport that has only 200 miles and after going into a small water hole I parked it out front of my house and next day would not start back.. !! Its not fireing on passenger side cylinder! ! And its not the spark plug or coil wire .. what could it be? The driver side cylinder is fine.. somebody said there's a fuse for the coil pack does anybody now which one it is? Need help bad!!!
I had this EXACT same problem (Long story shorter) and after a week at the Deere dealership they went through every connection. Apparently Deere uses sealed plugs with grease. This is not as good as it sounds with grease in a sealed plug when you go to push them together it creates pressure and it has to go somewhere so it pushes one of the pins out then the water can get in. Apparently Deere put a bulliten out about this, The mechanic took all my connectors apart pushed the pins in and removed the grease. I have had no issues since. I am now running a snorkel kit and see water regularly. Hope this helps for you! :D

·
Registered
904 Posts
Thanks for the update DacerOnline. I will have to check into mine if I ever have any trouble.

1 - 20 of 33 Posts