John Deere Gator Forums banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My 2012 Rsx 850i runs lean and will not idle until the gator gets to exactly 3 bars on the temp guard, I have replaced fuel pump, no change, I have also cleaned the throttle body & no difference, any suggestions from anyone? I know the machine is running lean, because I’ve sprayed a fuel cleaner into intake when machine starts to idle bad and it will level out the bad idle.

·
Registered
1,722 Posts
How do you know it's running lean? Did you by chance install a wideband 02 sensor?

Reactions: Bradhill

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
How do you know it's running lean? Did you by chance install a wideband 02 sensor?
I know it’s running lean, because when it start to idle bad, I’ve sprayed fuel into the intake and it levels out the idle, I noticed this weekend that once the 2nd and 3rd bar on temp hits the screen, the vehicle gains power immediately, once past the 3rd bar I have full power but until then it’s dry sluggish

·
Registered
1,722 Posts
Are you certain all cylinders are firing when cold at idle? Perhaps pull plug wire during these conditions. What happens to RPM? Repeat the test several times to make certain the results are consistent and can be trusted.

added in edit:
Have you read these posts?
Rough idle
Spark plugs and reflash

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I think I should add that when it is 80 degree weather outside, it starts and idles fine without me warming the vehicle up, it may have a little trouble but still idles, this issue is horrible when it’s 40 degrees outside, elevated idle goes from 1500 rpms to about 400 which of course it dies

·
Registered
1,722 Posts
Did the OP ever resolve? What was the root cause?

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
No this problem is not resolved, I’ve tried to re-learn the IAC, but disconnecting the battery while running. I’ve noticed that the way the machine is running is directly related to the temp. I say this because when I start the machine up I have to start it and go, no idling, as I’m driving it runs sluggish, once I have 1 bar on the temp it gains alittle power, then once the 2nd temp bar appears it runs even better, but not until the 3rd temp bar appears so I get full power.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Sounds to me like the cooling system might be the culprit. Thermostat maybe?
Thinking it may be stuck open? Seems like it would take longer to have issues of it was thermostat, but at this point I’m willing to check anything, maybe it’s because of the warmer climates lately but I just started noticing alittle smoke, hoping that it’s not oil burning from lean conditions that have been present

·
Registered
249 Posts
Thinking it may be stuck open? Seems like it would take longer to have issues of it was thermostat, but at this point I’m willing to check anything, maybe it’s because of the warmer climates lately but I just started noticing alittle smoke, hoping that it’s not oil burning from lean conditions that have been present
An oil-burning motor has a particular smell. Unfortunately, I can't describe it to you over the internet lol... you would have had to smell it before to know.

But anyway... fuel smoke is brown/black, oil smoke is blue, and an engine burning coolant is white smoke.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
It seemed blueish to me, I was going to replace the coolant temp sensor but I read another thread with the guy having the same issue after replacing it.

i was thinking that the 02’s were kicking in too early, so I unplugged 1 while starting to put it into closed loop & same outcome

·
Registered
20 Posts
Weird, in essence it is something temperature sensitive and that points to three plausible hypothesis:

1. Something related to the cooling system. Sometimes overlooked but rich and lean conditions are directly affected by combustion temperature and thats where the cooling system might play a role.
2. Humidity in the coils/sparks or some sensor in the throttle body that evaporates once the engine warms up.
3. Rings/Pistons/Valve Assy related. Something fails when ambient temperature makes it shrink and then stops once the heat expands it again.

Keep us posted. I feel like those italian guys from Car Talk on NPR

1 - 17 of 17 Posts