John Deere Gator Forums banner

1 - 20 of 43 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have had my eye on the new RSX 850i so I headed over to my local John Deere store in Draper Utah to see if they had any that I could look at and it turned out they got the first one in the western united states delivered about an hour before I got got there. Sure enough just about every salesperson and tech had taken it for a spin in that hour that it had got there(put 8 miles on it in 1 hour). I took it for a spin myself and loved it. So sure enough I bought the first one that was "for sale" in the west. Took it out on the trail today and it ran great and its pretty quick. John Deere tops it out at 53 in the specs but i topped it out at 56MPH today.

John Deere RSX 850i

-Extremely awesome looking
-full dump bed with tailgate and all
-Seats are extremely comfortable, true bucket seat and a must have*
-fast, gets up to speed
-handles well (steering is firm, power steering would be nice)
-a little on the noisy side, well if you consider 850i noise!

Seth

·
Registered
904 Posts
I drove one of these today. Got it up to 54 mph. Rides nice, nice factory seats. Heck, it even has fox podium stock shocks (non piggy back).

·
Registered
89 Posts
New guy.
Got my Trail package RSX 850i today
Went on my friends MOTO x track. It jumps great always power on tap.
I bought the Green/Yellow, Have a roof and speaker in all ready
Check out both my 850i reviews on u tube. One is called Mean and Green

·
Registered
4 Posts
I wondered about the roof mounted radio/speaker set up. It may be nice to have but I have the windshield and roof and find it very loud inside cab. Anyone else find it to loud for radio option?

·
Registered
4 Posts
I can tell you this... IMO, if you did purchase a new RSX, Deere would do whatever was within reason to keep you happy. Over the last several years, Deere has invested greatly into R&D for recreational / utility vehicles. Early next year they're adding more to the Gator lineup and improving on whats working now.

Finally, I think they understand that being a true player in this market takes more than just a good name. I've been a John Deere dealer for almost a decade and I'm finally excited for them and consumers as well. Best regards!

·
Registered
2 Posts
hey breeze im looking to get an rsx 850i also but im hearing That they are loud is this true and how do they compare to other utv's? and if u don't mind how much did it set u back? im also from UTAH and was waiting for nephi to get some in so i could go try it out!

·
Registered
4 Posts
I mentioned earlier in this post of it being to loud to hear a radio. I'm sure with roof and windshield removed it would not be quiet as loud but what I hear in my 850 is not exhaust noise so much as the roar of the motor. It's kind of right under you. But it's a good kind of noise if you know what I mean. I have motorcycles that have that good sound too. When my wife is riding around the field and I'm standing back, it's seems no different than some four wheelers or small bikes. Just another opinion.

·
Registered
2 Posts
hey thanks blkduc! my brother in law has a rzr s and what i like about it is when putting around we can shoot the bull without shouting at the top of our lungs. im hoping this is possible with the RSX my dad has a can am 1000x so i want something different and the RSX fits the bill and looks bad a// and im told other than the motor it's american made! plus i hope thers no haters but im a packers fan and green and yellow look good on me!:D

·
Registered
2 Posts
Got my first 850i a month ago ,within 20 min. the water pump went. Now on my second one and the heat coming up from the engine is so hot you can't put your hand on the plastic concole between the seats ,even the shifter lever is hot . My dealer is great and working to make thins right .

·
Registered
4 Posts
Dang Minotmaine, Hate to hear that. I'm sure the dealer can straighten it out. I got my 850 in September weather was still hot here in Tn. I never notice any heat issues.
Please keep us up on things.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
We have 25 hours on our RSX850i gator, and most been at low speeds checking on cattle. We have had it in the shop for a couple of things.

1) The emergency brake cable broke. The tech said it has been a common problem and has fixed 3 other RSX850i's emergency breaks.

2) the transmission would lock up in gear and it would not let you shift in or out of gears. It would also bind going into gear from Neutral to Drive, or Neutral to Reverse, or it would shift with a big clunk. So the tech adjusted the tension of the shifter and it has been much better about getting in and out of gear, and it has not locked up since he adjusted it.

Heat- at slow speeds the motors fan runs frequently, and there is a good amount of heat coming from the dash and mostly on your legs. I have not noticed a tremendous amount of heat coming from under the seat to the shifter, however the motor is directly under the shifter and the the dump bed. The exhaust pipe is mounted high and the tailpipe is directly out of the rear, so it won't start weeds on fire. Even though there is heat shield where the exhaust goes under the dump bed it still makes inside the bed a little warm, especially when there is someone sitting down riding in the dump bed. At faster speeds the fan does not turn on as much due to the radiators need for air.

Noise- Noise is not really too much of an issue. It is no louder than any other side by side. It is not any louder than a Can Am Commander.

Gas Cap- the gas cap leaks like crazy! If you go on any hill or any bump or anything, gas ends up all over the side of the machine under the fuel fill cap. It doesn't matter if its full or if you have a 1/2 gallon in there, there is always gas leaking out of the cap. It needs to have a longer filler neck on the tank because when you look into the tank you can see all the way across to the other side of the tank. You don't look down into the tank, you look across the top of the tank! In the specs it says it has a 7.4 gallon fuel tank but mine overfills at 5 gallons. Refueling it is tricky.

Price- we paid top dollar for our RSX850i. It comes standard with a 6 month warranty, we got the extended 2 year warranty... With the name John Deere on the front you get top notch service and the guys at the shop are great!

Shocks- mine has the upgraded fox shocks on it. These shocks are two way adjustable (by rebound and coil stiffness). Mine was set right in the middle. I adjusted it so they are as soft as they go and it gives it a great smooth ride. I am often cutting across fields so the softer the ride the better for me. Now if you we're jumping, the stiffest setting would be ideal and I could guarantee you would never bottom them out. It's a great suspension system. A lot of other side by sides run the same fox shocks.

Overall you have to realize this is a new machine and everything is NEW. So you have to come to expect some minor things will have to be changed or adjusted. There are chips (similar to diesel truck chips/programmers) for the Piaggio motors. The top speed of 53mph is an electronicly governed setting, and chipping it will allow you to have a higher top speed. There are also kits that are bolt on that turn it from 850 to 1000 (for all you side by side racers out there).
Hope all this info helps

Seth

·
Registered
2 Posts
It only takes about a 1/4 of a mile for heat to come up through the shifter lever opening ,and within a couple of miles the console gets hot. My dealer tells me now that this is normal. I had to replace the gas cap with only 36 miles on the machine , it was leaking .Other then the heat it's a good machine.

·
Registered
7 Posts
I've had my gator almost 2 months and 220 miles and haven't had any issues with my mine and its a great ride especially after i softened up the rear springs, now it drives great on rough ruts and terrains

1 - 20 of 43 Posts