John Deere Gator Forums banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

· Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just noticed my gator leaking white transmission oil when parked, after running it for a while. When I checked for visible leak points I didn't find much but I found that my mid-transmission oil level has somehow become way overfilled. I last added transmission oil (Hy-gard) about 11 months ago. The only explanation I have been able to figure is that we just had heavy rains here (southern California and maybe enough rain water got into the transmission oil that the reservoir overfilled. Any data from forum users on what happened and how I should handle? It only leaks after the vehicle has gotten warmed up.

· Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks but yes, I am sure it is transmission -- the oil was white (which is what this oil does when it is contaminated with water -- and when I drained and changed the oil today the drip/leak problem went away. It seems that the transmission oil tank was leaking because the tank had become overfilled. What I don't understand is how water got in there, especially in such volume.

· Registered
2,936 Posts
Humidity and condensate will account for some water volume but not the levels you describe. Did you do any water crossings?

· Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks, agreed. No water crossings, but a LOT of rain here (so. Cal.) during a 9-day period where I was not driving the Gator and it was parked outside with no shelter. I checked for a possible radiator leak or any other water source. My best guess is that this is something that accumulated over time, since I have always parked the vehicle outside, unsheltered, and we had a lot of rain starting in late December, etc. When I drained the transmission it was about a quart overfilled. I plan to do another oil change to help clean out the system and either park the Gator in a garage or cover it in rainy conditions from here on out.

· Registered
2,936 Posts
Sounds like a good plan.

Condensate can add up over time and why it is good to periodically check fluid level and condition.

· Registered
30 Posts
Temperature change cycles and condensation can draw a lot of water into a vented space like a transmission or a boat fuel tank when stored outdoors. Don't ask how I know, but park it under a roof if at all possible.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts