John Deere Gator Forums banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
1,003 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys, Just wanted to do a post for the RSX charging system problems we were having with the 850i.

The parts list you will need:
57M7121 - 10A fuse
57M7125 - 5A Fuse
57M7237 - 40A Fuse (x2)
57M8828 - Fuse holder
T126788 - Terminal (x8)

Here is the video explaining where the problem is:

Here is the video explaining how to fix the issue with a new block:

So far I've done 3 RSX gators all which have not had any charge issues since having the fix done. The last gator I did I meant to take a video explaining everything in more detail and showing how the fix looks but I never got the chance. Hope this post helps those that need it in the future as well as now. Every gator that has been fixed all had light bars and audio systems of some kind. If anyone has any questions please feel free to ask.

·
Administrator
4,275 Posts
Thank you !

Reactions: marcust90

·
Registered
1,003 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
You're welcome. Sorry again for it taking me so long.

Reactions: Bradhill

·
Administrator
4,275 Posts

·
Registered
213 Posts
Hey Marcus, hope you're doing well bud. Thanks for the info. Do you have an update for the machines you've done this to? I've got to get mine fixed ASAP. Had to be towed out of the woods last night by a Polaris lol

·
Registered
1,003 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Hey Marcus, hope you're doing well bud. Thanks for the info. Do you have an update for the machines you've done this to? I've got to get mine fixed ASAP. Had to be towed out of the woods last night by a Polaris lol
No issues to date. Last gator I fixed had over 100 hours on it with no more issues. Had to change a belt on it but that was it.

Reactions: 200mph

·
Registered
213 Posts
Good deal. I got into mine on friday and it was starting to melt. I cut the wires and added my own fused and soildered it into the main power wire. It's charging now. Just got to keep an eye on it.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Good Afternoon. Im a bit late to the party here but just purchased a 2014 RSX 850i. I believe it may have this issue. In looking around I came across a part that was supposedly made for this problem and Im wondering if its not exactly what marcust90 is doing. Ive attached a photo. Is this isnt the same thing Im wondering is someone might be able to break down the repair marcus is doing in to more detail. A drawing would be great. Im a handy guy but when it comes to electronics I need things pretty much spelled out in crayon.

Attachments

·
Registered
4 Posts
Just wanted to provide and update and thank marcust90 for the information. My above post is a part that John Deere makes to repair this problem. I found it for about the same price as ordering the materials individually. The only thing I did differently from the instructions is, rather than replugging in the 4 old wire terminals I cut them off and installed new ones before reinstalling them in the new block. Otherwise it worked great and came with instructions on how to take everything apart. Hopefully this helps someone.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Hey guys, Just wanted to do a post for the RSX charging system problems we were having with the 850i.

The parts list you will need:
57M7121 - 10A fuse
57M7125 - 5A Fuse
57M7237 - 40A Fuse (x2)
57M8828 - Fuse holder
T126788 - Terminal (x8)

Here is the video explaining where the problem is:

Here is the video explaining how to fix the issue with a new block:

So far I've done 3 RSX gators all which have not had any charge issues since having the fix done. The last gator I did I meant to take a video explaining everything in more detail and showing how the fix looks but I never got the chance. Hope this post helps those that need it in the future as well as now. Every gator that has been fixed all had light bars and audio systems of some kind. If anyone has any questions please feel free to ask.
I have the same problem on my 2012 RSX850i. 400 miles and the battery light just started coming on. Good info thank you

·
Registered
4 Posts
I'm having a charging issue with my 2013 RSX850i. Its not blowing or melting any fuses but it doesn't seem to be charging the battery. When I check the voltage at the battery after a full charge I'm getting the expected 12.5 or so. When I start and raise the rpm the voltage doesn't increase. I'm thinking my next step would be to check the voltage regulator. However I can't seem to find it. I called the local JD dealer and they couldn't or wouldn't help me. Someone said it was located under the dash on driver side but I sure don't see it. Anyone know for sure where its located?

·
Registered
2,338 Posts
When off you should get approximately 12.6 volts depending on state of charge, battery condition and temperature. Once it is started and Rpms come up the voltage should be in the 13.5 to 14.5 range.

If the higher voltage doesn’t occur, suggest you measure the voltage at the alternator to make certain the wiring isn’t the problem.

·
Registered
4 Posts
When off you should get approximately 12.6 volts depending on state of charge, battery condition and temperature. Once it is started and Rpms come up the voltage should be in the 13.5 to 14.5 range.

If the higher voltage doesn’t occur, suggest you measure the voltage at the alternator to make certain the wiring isn’t the problem.
Thx for the reply. Problem is I can't find the regulator to test it.

·
Registered
2,338 Posts
Likely internal, so test the larger red wire at alternator. (Please note, I don't have the specific technical manual for your machine, but most alternators have internal regulation and the larger red wire runs to the battery and typically marked BAT on the alternator itself.)

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.