John Deere Gator Forums banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Been continuously having electrical problems, every once in a while in deep water my RSX will get a hiccup and die only if you put the pedal to the floor. Like I said its really sporadic and I'm not really too worried about it but was just wondering if anyone else experienced something like this. Now, my main problem that seems to be a consistent plague on my machine is the stator/regulator/charging system. At first it was just mud in the fuse for my regulator and all you would have to do is wiggle the fuse and it'd make connection again and keep working, so then I added some mud flaps and whatnot around the front compartment to seal off the fuse box from any possible mud. Now wiggling the fuse doesn't even work, I've cleaned all my battery connections and checked a lot of different connections and still no luck. The machine will run normally at 12.2 volts and once I turn my headlights on (not even the spot lights) it will run at 11.8 volts which tells me it isn't even trying to charge. I've talked with my dealer and they've got it on the list to get in the shop but with spring rolling around they're busy with oodles of mowers and made it sound like it could be a while till mine gets in. Since my spring fever is kicking in and I really wanna get riding I was wondering if anyone had any ideas to try in the meantime. Any responses are appreciated.

·
Registered
51 Posts
I had a bunch of electrical problems in the fall. Long story shorter. After several days at the dealer they came across a bulletin that referenced the electrical plugs. The plugs are a sealed type and in a sealed type the recommend you do not use any dielectric grease as it will cause a hydraulic type of pressure when the plug is pushed together. What they found in other machines and mine is that some plugs when pushed together the pressure was enough that it pushed a pin out of the plug socket allowing the pressure out. The dealer went through all my plug connections and removed a lot of the grease and pushed the pins tightly into there sockets and I have not had any issues since. I hope this maybe gives you some ideas or another avenue to check. Good Luck!

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Daver, I have only put dialectric grease around my fuses which my mechanic instructed me to do to seal out some of the mud that was causing troubles, didn't put any in the actual connectors and will make note not to in the future! I did however get my machine into the shop and they basically told me what I already knew and that there was no problems. The machine will idle at 13 volts, 12.5 volts with headlights on and 11.8 volts with headlights and factory spotlights on. They said at full throttle and all lights on it will only make 12.3-12.4 volts which they said is only maintaining the battery, not charging it. So they basically decided that Deere is selling these things electrically underpowered. They did say something about the dual battery kit but said it will only prolong the problem (a bandaid) and that the battery will only die in 6 hours with the lights on instead of 3. The only other option is to switch to LED lights, which personally I would have liked to know before I spent $300 on a factory kit that I thought would be "good to go"!!!

·
Registered
51 Posts
Ugh That suck man!!! I hate to hear that for anyone but I am glad you put it out there for others to learn from. I have not added to mine other than a radio. Best of luck my friend and keep us posted.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts