John Deere Gator Forums banner

1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Like an idiot I know. I sank my RSX. I've drained everything and changed all fluids. I runs fine once going just won't idle if it goes below 850 rpms it dies. I've changed o2 sensors injectors cause it smells like it's running rich. I've also dried and dielectric greased most of the wiring connectors. I say most cause I'm sure I missed a few. If anyone could give an input on where to look next It'd be much appreciated. Thank you.

·
Registered
668 Posts
A gas engine that won't idle more often than not has a vacuum leak of some sort.

Hope this helps.

·
Registered
242 Posts
Does the rsx have MAP or MAF, and did you clean the IAC valve, if it has maf then try cleaning it with a MAF cleaner spray only

·
Registered
377 Posts
Not at home to look it over but going by the parts illustrations it only shows the o2 sensors no other air sensors or throttle position. Thinking its a o2 sensor because the exhaust was still full of water when I cranked it up ran fine. Once all the water blow out of the exhaust shut it down did the oil change went to crank up again and now it will only start while giving it some throttle and wont idle.

·
Registered
140 Posts
the rsx does have a MAP sensor, IAC and TPS, but it is all built into the throttle body/ecu, and not serviceable, tho you might be able to spray some stuff in there.... but I'm not sure that's recommended, the two things I would check, would be to disconnect the battery for a couple mins, and also pull all fuses in the front storage bin, (both sides) inspect them for anything abnormal and reinstall, doing this cured mine, I'm not exactly sure witch one worked but I believe it was the fuses, I had random battery light coming on, stalling/not idling, and sometimes not wanting to crank over, no issues since I did that,

also, change the spark plugs if you haven't recently

·
Registered
377 Posts
Appreciate it but I have tried that with no luck when I get back home in a couple of weeks I will try changing the plugs and bench testing the o2 sensors if that doesn't get it then I guess its off to jd.

·
Registered
242 Posts
But I do know when a computer car Blows a Head Gaket,,Generally it will take out an 02 sensor...I cant even Hook my new Snap-on scanner to my Rig...That Pisses right the Hell off..

·
Registered
140 Posts
Ya the scanners wont work, you have to have service advisor and a V2 EDL to be able to connect to them, is the dash light on for trouble codes? o2 sensors could be a problem and its possible the IAC could be stuck from corrosion or debris

·
Registered
377 Posts
Yes my service light is on. When I get home next month I will pull the o2 sensors clean and test. Then pull the throttle body and clean the sensors on it. If I still have the issue I'll have to take it to JD and have them read the ECU. I would take it to them and get it read first so I would know where to start looking but I read on here they charge $300 to look at it.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Did you ever find anything out about why it won't idle? Mine is doing the same thing. I tried taking the battery cable off and that didn't change anything. My service light is not on though.

·
Registered
25 Posts
No i haven't taken it in yet. There is a set screw on the throttle body that seems to adjust the idle rpms and i messed with it and helped but didn't fix the problem just made it die less often. I know its not a permanent fix but it will get thru spring break then I'm going to take to JD and see if they can fix it

·
Registered
140 Posts
Problem ended up being the ecu.
this kind of sucks, from the sounds of your guys issues, the problem must lie in the IAC, witch is unfortunate that it is part of the ecu and not serviceable, the only piece of advice I could give on that is, if it comes to that and they want to sell you an ecu, try to clean/lube the IAC first, but if water got in to the ecu and is causing the problem then there is no real choice other than changing the unit

·
Registered
25 Posts
That pretty much sums up what the tech at my JD said. New TB comes in today.

·
Registered
377 Posts
Not looking to be a submariner but I think it would be cheaper to snorkel it at least that way I only have to worry about the exhuast

1 - 20 of 35 Posts