John Deere Gator Forums banner
1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
159 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I've been wanting to do a build thread on the Deere but thought it might too late, however as I sit in my ME Orientation I've had some pretty wild thoughts running through my head about all the upgrades I plan on doing this summer. A good friend of mine is trying to get his tire shop hooked up with Gorilla, he owns the white and black Ranger you've probably seen in some of my pictures is about to add some 31 inch Laws on his ride and I find the Gator is sitting a little too low for my liking and if I'm buying tires I figure I might as well buy wheels.. and of course I'll need a lift.. and I'll probably break my stock axles so I might as well go with Gorilla.. and well you know how it is. One thing leads to another and the list goes on. Anyway this is going to be my new build thread following all the modifications I'm going to be adding over the course of the summer. Most of you know how the Deere currently sits, but I'll attach a picture anyway. But first a list.

I'm really leaning toward these wheels. The RSX has the same bolt pattern as a Kawasaki or Can-Am if I'm not mistaken... 4x137mm?

I'm also concerned about the 31s fitting even with the 2 inch lift. Does anybody know of someone running this set up? Not having a previous reference is the only downside to wanting to be different I suppose.

Snorkels come in yesterday I hope to put them on at the shop this weekend for our Fix-It Friday but until then this is how the Deere sits right now minus the speakers being moved to the top of the roll cage rather than the sides ( just not as clean).

·
Registered
43 Posts
I am looking for a cheap set of yellow rims for my camo trail RSX. Lol!!:):) Just been thinking about it and how it would look. On the other hand the build sounds awesome and the rims look sweet!!

·
Registered
159 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Preciate it. I always said I was keeping the stock wheels but the more I look at aftermarket ones the more I want new ones. Hmmm. Such a struggle.

·
Registered
904 Posts
Decisions Decisions, always hard. Are those No limit wheels? Just because you missed putting a build thread together after the build, you can still talk about it or post up some pics. You might of done something I want to do, LOL!!!!!

·
Registered
159 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Lol. Yeah those are no limits, just with the silverback centercap. I have my snorkels up now but they aren't as stable as I'd like them to be. Thinking I'm gonna modify a bracket and u joints to keep it from wobbling. Also I noticed that the gator doesn't shut off when you cover the intake pipe but when you leave it covered and rev the engine the suction collapses the airbox so I know there's not a leak. I'm thinking it has something to do with the EFI? Anyway yeah I'm gonna be adding a lift kit next week. Possibly a new set of tires. I'm thinking 29.5 outlaw 2s instead of 31s... Hmmm....

·
Registered
1,009 Posts
if the deere acts like my rincon then it will take a few mins for it to cut off with the efi just throwing fuel at it so that could be y it does not just kill over also add a aftermarket air filter to help that beast breathe a lil

·
Registered
159 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
A few friends of mine have snorkeled efi rides that do the same thing.

·
Registered
904 Posts
I am running 29.5 OL2s and I love them.

·
Registered
51 Posts
I have my snorkels up now but they aren't as stable as I'd like them to be. Thinking I'm gonna modify a bracket and u joints to keep it from wobbling.
I made some supports out of some 1x aluminum I got from my local ace dealer. Hope it gives you some ideas very stable.

·
Registered
159 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Loving the green. Those brackets are a decent idea too... Hmmm. No welding required unlike my plan. Preciate the help may make a run to ACE tomorrow. I'm thinking spraying the brackets yellow for a bit of a subtle look.

·
Registered
242 Posts
Love those rims... will definitely look good with the JD green

·
Registered
159 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I think so too. Tires and wheels will probably be a little bit later down the list. I've talked myself into an exhaust and lift first.

·
Registered
159 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Well last week was pretty rough on our little group.. I think Hebron cost us in the upwards of the 2 grand range Saturday. Ranger 800 busted a front diff and an axle, A Yamaha blew a top end, and the Gator smoked a belt. But it's all part of it. Finally got the snorkel kit installed though. In the process of replacing it now, hopefully everybody will be up and running by tomorrow.

Replacing the belt.. My first complaint about Deere. You have to strip the thing down to do any kind of belt/clutch work.

And a few pictures from last weeks ride. Everything goes as planned I should have some new pictures for tomorrows ride.

Also we're going to be at Boggs and Boulders in Andalusia Alabama the 24th of this month. Anybody else planning on making that trip??

·
Registered
XUV 550 with Honda GX 630
865 Posts
I'm glad you posted pics about changing the belt... I was about to ask.

·
Registered
242 Posts
I changed my primary clutch... I have my time down to about 45 mins.

·
Registered
159 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
They're twice the machine rangers are .. But I'll give Polaris one thing you can access the belt and clutch on them in a half hour. Oh well.. It's the price you pay for the best ride on the trails. Lol.

·
Registered
242 Posts
Looks green in the picture

·
Registered
159 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·

·
Registered
159 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
*Update* 29.5 Ol2s are on the way. Should be on the Gator by the end of next week. I'm still considering going aftermarket with the wheels.

1 - 20 of 28 Posts