John Deere Gator Forums banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I test drove this machine on Friday.

I must say I was really impressd with it. It's a comfortable ride, although I wish it came with power steering as I was testing the hauling capability with a snowmobile trailer and yes it got a little tough backing up or turing at low speeds - power steering I'm sure is being considered. Really like the sport seats and dashboard, I think they did a great job as a company trying to get into this market that's dominated by Polaris, AC etc.

For some reason I'm still not sold on the Piaggio engine only because I'm not familiar with them. Yes they're a reputable engine manufacturer in Europe, this RSX850i sounds like a monster, albeit, it's a loud ride but I need to do more research on the Piaggio/ Deere relationship.

What are your thoughts with regards to this Piaggio engine? I get the frame, suspension, and general ergonomics of this machine so I'd like to focus this thread on the Piaggio engine.

·
Registered
709 Posts
I have really been impressed with mine so far and those that I have sold them to have been impressed as well. If it was some no name engine manufacturer I'd be concerned but Piaggio has a really good solid name for themselves and I think it's gonna hold up really well!

As for the power steering, Deere is working on something but there pretty decent kits out there to install and I have thought about getting one myself!

·
Registered
146 Posts
I wouldn't read too much into it. I couldn't get a reply on a simple wheel bearing question ($60 some bucks by the way!!). Anyway, the engine has been awesome!! I have over 4000 miles on my machine and would buy another. My one major complaint is the lack of aftermarket support! It sucks not being able to get some aftermarket accessories!!

·
Registered
140 Posts
Google aprilliaguyna and you'll see what will be coming out of the aftermarket :cool:

Aprillia\piago have a good reputation that they have earned and you don't hear of them having many issues. I love liquid cooled v twins (Not a Harley guy lol) and this is one that I believe we will get a lot of power out of it if you want it.

·
Registered
28 Posts
I had those same concerns of the engine. But really did a lot of research to find the piaggio had been around a good while. That helped in me buying mine. Other than that and the fact that it is john deere, my pocket book and common since led me right in. You get a whole lot more options with the gator vs anything else for a lot better price. The rzr with those same options would be very costly. And I got my power steering from superatv.com. It was a simple easy install. John deere even had a wire already for the electronic side of things. As for engine, other than noise it has held up great.

·
Registered
904 Posts
I am very impressed with my RSX. Great low end torque, and the engine sounds awesome with a set of Big Gun Duals on it. The aftermarket is coming, just give it time. As more ppl get the RSX, more companies will start making things.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts