John Deere Gator Forums banner
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Has anyone had there machine running hot? We got 150km on our gator and the rad is clean, it use to run when we first got it up to the first solid bar on the display. recently its been running with the temp gauge maxed out the fan kicks in one bar goes out then repeats itself. took it back to the dealer they say its because we are running it in high range all the time all we are doing is trail riding and opening it up on stretches. I don't think driving in low would be better if anything worse? Its a new product so I thought other peoples input with what there machine is doing may be good input due to the dealer not being much help Thanks for your time

·
Registered
146 Posts
That's exactly how mine is running. If I'm out on the road or running 20 plus miles per hour it hardly ever gets above 3 or 4 bars. However, slow speed trail riding, running in low (at trail speeds), causes the bar graph to frequently get into the 2nd dark bar. I have about 120 hours on my machine and never noticed this last fall or winter. I do note that my fuel gauge bar graph is never right so I have taken the position that the temp gauge is off as well. Anyway, even though the machine gauge says it is running hotter, the machine has never went into a true "overheat" situation (according to the other warning lights). I put an inline temperature gauge on the hose going from the engine to the radiator and it shows the fan consistently kicking on about 200 degrees.

·
Registered
51 Posts
I am hooking up a fan bypass so when I am trail riding at slow speeds in the woods I can just keep the fan on. I get one solid bar then the fan kicks on this is how mine runs consistently in the woods.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Mine does not overheat. Fan kicks on with the first black bar comes on and the fan click off when black bar goes away, seems to work very good. Richard

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Got it back from the dealer today and they stated that the gauge has to be maxed out with the last solid bar flashing and the red overheat light flashing the machine will derate and bog during acceleration. They said the coolant temp with one solid bar is approx 180 f. When mine was 2 solid bars we had our kids in the rear seat driving in high down the trail apparently with 4 people suppose to run in low with higher rpms to get more flow with the water pump. Going to try it this weekend at the poker rally and see I guess

·
Registered
1 Posts
GATOR 850i Heat Concerns

I have a 850i and also have had what I feel is heat issues with less then 9 hours on the unit. I have the 1st solid bar come on all the time on my display and then the 2nd bar comes on. I have also noticed that allot of heat comes up around the seats and center shifter very hot at times.

I have a oil leak and the battery warning light comes on all the time. it is back at my dealer being serviced, but I am not feeling very good about these issues with a unit that is less then a week old and less then then 9 hours on it. I asked for a replacement and I will see what them do. This is the Sport model.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Well the rsx is back at the dealer for overheating it only has 250km it runs fine for the first 5km with the solid bar coming on then going out with the fan. after approx 5 km it runs with the 2 solid bars on and the fan cuts in takes out the second solid bar but the first one remains on it will run like this all day its at the verge of overheating(with the second bar on). when you stop and let it idle it cools down past the solid bars. The dealer were I bought it says they cant fix it if they cant recreate it. They also say that JD wants it to run as hot as possible without overheating. Has anyone tried water wetter or installed a manual gauge? Also I would like to install a fan override switch if anyone might have a schematic with the EFI I am not sure if the fan is powered by a ground or power control on the ecm?

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Well got it back the dealer said we can't get it to run hot so I went and got it took it home rechecked the oil like the manual said to run up to operating temp shut down then check found it was overfull of engine oil drained out one and a half litres. Installed a manual temp gauge by the thermostat took it for a burn and its running at 215 deg F. Does anyone know what the temp is suppose to run at? When the fan cuts in it cools down to 208 deg f

·
Registered
11 Posts
With the dry sump it can be difficult to get the oil level right. You are supposed to run it for 30 seconds at 4000 rpm, then check the oil.

Also you might need to 'burp' the coolant. Sometimes there is an air pocket from the factory.. your dealer will have the procedure for doing this.

·
Registered
8 Posts
mine also runs with one to two bars alot of the time. I installed a fan override switch so i can run it all the time at low speed. That seemed to help with the low speed problem. However i installed a heat resistant barrier between the engine and the seats to keep the seats and operators station from getting too hot. On a 90+ degree day with high humidity my temperature guage would not go below one bar as long as you were on the gas. you could let off around 35 mph and it would drop down.

·
Registered
8 Posts
I took a 4wd switch for a 825i gator and installed it and a relay in mine. If you look under you hood, the ecm is on drivers side. there is a 4 wire plug on the rh side looking from the front of the vehicle. The blue wire runs to the fan motor. I just wired my switch and relay to send 12 volts to that wire when the switch was on.

·
Registered
8 Posts
I took a 4wd switch for a 825i gator and installed it and a relay in mine. If you look under you hood, the ecm is on drivers side. there is a 4 wire plug on the rh side looking from the front of the vehicle. The blue wire runs to the fan motor. I just wired my switch and relay to send 12 volts to that wire when the switch was on.

It will also still come on with the ecm when the temperature comes up and my switch turned off. I just spliced into the blue wire.

·
Registered
8 Posts
12v accessory under the dash, there is a plug that has red and black wires and one with yellow and black wires. either will work. red is battery voltage. and yellow is on with the key.

·
Registered
3 Posts
for those talking about the operating temp. right in the op manual it says it runs hot that is normal. mine get up to two solid bars alot. i use it for play and on the farm havnt had any trouble

·
Registered
114 Posts
Where did you get your fan override switch? I emailed superatv about one some time ago and never got a reply.
I just contacted UTV INC, they don't have a kit for Gators but they have one for every other UTV...figures. :(

·
Registered
114 Posts
what tpye of relay do I need to do this???

1 - 20 of 23 Posts