John Deere Gator Forums banner
1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey y'all, I parked my Gator after riding around the farm, now this morning it will not turn over.

I turn the key and the fuel pump runs, engage key and the solenoid clicks and after 2 secs it clicks again. Battery is fully charged, even tried jumping it off, same result.

Tried pulling it off to loosen up stuck starter, no joy.

Then I took the jumper cables and put negative on starter case, and positive on hot wire on starter. It will turn over once each time I place it, but will not turn over several times as it does when working correctly.

Any ideas?

·
Administrator
3,898 Posts
Any signs of corrosion once you remove battery and ground terminals?

·
Administrator
3,898 Posts
Did the RSX get wet when you last drove it ?

·
Administrator
3,898 Posts
Gets wet everyday.
Im not certain if this is your issue ? The fuse block on the 850 is notorious for causing problems when it is exposed to water.

Use the Search Community function to look at other threads that may help.

·
Administrator
3,898 Posts
From your previous threads, I see you have had these issues a few years. Did you ever replace the starter ? I apologize if you mentioned that you have earlier.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Fuse block is located under front hood, correct? If true no water ever gets above wheel height.

Saw a post about a Starter Improvement Relay Kit, could that be a fix?

·
Administrator
3,898 Posts
Fuse block is located under front hood, correct? If true no water ever gets above wheel height.

Saw a post about a Starter Improvement Relay Kit, could that be a fix?
Even though you may not run in deep water, condensation is not your friend ;)

·
Registered
2,033 Posts
electrical problems are easy to resolve using volt meter, access to wiring diagrams and knowing how to do a voltage drop test. visual Inspection may work for the most obvious issues but limited as an effective electrical diagnostic process overall.

Great videos online f you want to learn Versus guessing at the problem.

·
Registered
2,033 Posts
On some models there is another fuse block located on driver side high on the fire wall (passenger compartment side of firewall). I believe this is the one Bradhill was referring too.

Reactions: Bradhill

·
Registered
2,033 Posts
Has the OP made any progress?

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Ok, update time: just as before we pulled the starter off and after energized on bench, with a twist of the spindle, it spun up fine. Put back on bike, no joy. Jumped between solenoid posts, it turns over as it should. Loosen both sides of solenoid and retighten and one of the studs breaks off. You can see a shiny spot on broken stud.

So now what solenoid do I need?

·
Administrator
3,898 Posts
Ok, update time: just as before we pulled the starter off and after energized on bench, with a twist of the spindle, it spun up fine. Put back on bike, no joy. Jumped between solenoid posts, it turns over as it should. Loosen both sides of solenoid and retighten and one of the studs breaks off. You can see a shiny spot on broken stud.

So now what solenoid do I need?
Have you checked online at partscatalog.deere.com ? The website will give you all the parts and part numbers you need on your RSX.

1 - 20 of 29 Posts