John Deere Gator Forums banner
21 - 29 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
2,033 Posts
For reference JD has their illustrated parts manual online that can be very helpful in finding part number I for any of their products.

·
Registered
2,033 Posts

·
Registered
2,033 Posts
If fit and function are the same, I would try it and enjoy the savings.

It’s not like JD part comes with a better warranty to justify 5x cost multiplier.

Reactions: Bradhill

·
Registered
2,033 Posts
Is there any reason why I should not buy a $12 solenoid from auto parts house instead of $65+shipping for JD solenoid?
So which route did you go? Satisfied with the results?

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #27 ·
Ok so, I bought a solenoid from O'Reillys for $20, installed it and BOOM, she cranks right up!!! Battery still seems too weak on cold mornings. Looking for a good one, any ideas on Amps/CCA? Manual states 30 Starting amps with 340 CCA.

·
Registered
2,033 Posts
Before buting a new battery which is likely needed, run a voltage drop test while trying to start.
Put test lead on battery post (not the clamp) and to stud at starter. If more than 0.5 volts interrogate where the voltage drop occurred and fix. Also do for the ground side. Many good videos on how to do this on YouTube. This test the circuit under load which can be very telling.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #29 ·
We rang out all the related wiring to ground, all looked good. Broken solenoid internally was the issue.

Now today the new O'Reilly solenoid is sticking, having to hit it to stop the starter. Chinese parts are not that great, but look, they are all made in China!!!

21 - 29 of 29 Posts