John Deere Gator Forums banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm trying to help out a neighbor that has a Gator TS 4x2 just like ours. He said he was at the top of a short but steep hill (pointing down) while in reverse when his Gator started freewheel down the hill. He wanted to move the tranny into neutral to coast down but accidentally pushed the gear selector into forward. Not sure how to help him.

Here's a pic of what looks to be the problem with his secondary clutch:

Wood Plant Automotive tire Motor vehicle Automotive exterior

Comparing to my Gator below that has the basket sitting cleanly on the forward facing teeth:

Wood Gas Chair Font Stairs

How can he fix this and is it fixable without buying parts?
If parts are required, what are they called and will he need special tools?

·
Administrator
4,314 Posts
Go to partscatalog.deere.com

He will need parts (Buttons) and a press to hold the clutch during disassembly, the Transaxle Driven Clutch is under spring tension.

Pay close attention where the spring is attached.

Font Circle Auto part Rim Technical drawing

Reactions: ron_jeremy

·
Administrator
4,314 Posts
Hey @Bradhill thx for the help! I believe I have a flywheel puller -- will rhat work? Or, can you link to a picture of what the press would look like?
No a fly wheel puller will not work. If you do not have access to a shop press, there are Secondary Clutch holding tools that may work for you. Check with Venom Products or Amazon, although it maybe less expensive to have a ATV shop replace the buttons after you remove the clutch.

Reactions: ron_jeremy

·
Registered
XUV 550 with Honda GX 630
972 Posts
I have done it two different ways. You can use a couple ratchet straps to compress the clutch but access is difficult because the straps get in the way. And, I've used a couple steel bars going across the two sides of the clutch with threaded rod connecting the two to compress the clutch.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts