John Deere Gator Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 2004 John Deere Gator HPX and have had a problem this winter. It has been VERY cold here in VT and I had a problem with it smoking like crazy when faced with a load. The 1st time it happened it was 5 below zero. I read this forum and see that short trips are bad. The oil was overfull, so I changed that and the filter today. Unfortunately, the oil was milky grayish. I am not losing coolant. Is it possible that milky gray oil is due to condensation? I mostly short tripped a lot this winter doing a project 200 yards away from the house, so some days it just went up and down with tools and putting around the property. I sometimes let it idle for 15 minutes, but it still never warms up. Just today, I put a piece of cardboard in front of the radiator and ran the heck out of it after I changed the oil, and it seemed OK. Are my problems due to a cold machine?

·
Registered
904 Posts
Welcome to the forum!!!!!!!!! Hopefully one of our techs will chime in. Sounds like a cold problem to me, but I don't have any experience in that cold of weather or that gator.

·
Registered
140 Posts
I've seen this on one gas hpx of that vintage. it turned out to be a combo off 2 year old oil and gas from it getting flooded while starting constantly. Same conditions the guy never ran it hard and was a stop start machine. Basically when choking a small gas it is running on an over rich air fuel mix. If your always stating it, it gets choked a lot. Then it ends up with unburned fuel on top of your piston which sneaks by the rings into the crank case. If the engine never gets hot it won't burn fuel or condensation out of it. Causing your oil to slowly "fill" over time.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks for the replies.
It's gas. I changed the oil in the fall and it was fine. I never really drove it much in the winter before, so hope that the constant winter use is the cause. Since it is cold blooded, I need the choke a lot. I will try to run it harder before I put it away, but with no temp. gauge it's hard to know how hot it really is.

·
Registered
140 Posts
The fan will turn on at 180-190 I believe. It takes quite a bit to get them that warm. Especially in the winter

1 - 7 of 7 Posts