John Deere Gator Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Has anyone put a snowplow on a 550 yet? John Deere sells one for it using the winch to lift it. Just wondered if anyone has tried it. I dont know if the 550 is beefy enough to handle pushing snow; worried about drive belt. Anyone comments would be appreciated.

·
Registered
904 Posts
No lift kit as of now that I am aware of. I have some offers to some manufactures to use my 550 s4 for R&D. The best way to get the max lift out of the stock suspension is just crank the preload on the shocks all the way up and drive snakey.

I think the 550 would be fine, just use LOW when plowing.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Snow plowing

My 550 has had lots of use plowing this winter. Works very well, lots of traction and power. Even better with the Halcraft cab enclosure keeping the wind and weather out.

·
Registered
28 Posts
It's not really hard. But you will end up with most of the body and interior torn out. All you will see is frame and motor. Takes a lot of time to do it right.

If I had to do it again, I would pay dealer. I would rather spend my time riding not working.

·
Registered
904 Posts
Glad to hear this about the 550, I don't have the need for a plow around here, but I have a 550 S4 that has impressed me so far.

Welcome to the Forum Larry!!!!!!!!

·
Registered
1 Posts
XUV550 Gator Blade response to eljim2007

Has anyone put a snowplow on a 550 yet? John Deere sells one for it using the winch to lift it. Just wondered if anyone has tried it. I dont know if the 550 is beefy enough to handle pushing snow; worried about drive belt. Anyone comments would be appreciated.
I have a 2013 550, with a snow plow. Mine is 6 feet wide, and is needed (my opinion) so when you have the blade angled, it will clear the front wheels, something shorter and your front wheels will prevent you from making a clean cut. The 550 handles the snow quite well. I'm very happy with it. I bladed the snow just today and did in 2 passes what took me several passes when I had the ATV with a 5 foot blade. So, yes, I'm happy with it. Now it was spendy as I paid to have it installed, and I'm glad I did. saved me a lot of headaches. The only worry I have is the winch cable runs from the winch, through a pulley which is connected to the blade and then back up and attached to the lower part of the bumper (yes, you need the bumper). This is good, as it cuts the speed of lowering and raising the blade giving you better control, but the installers at the John Deere here used Mule Tape to attach the hook. That's fine, but they don't stock it, and elsewhere it's expensive buying more because they want to sell you 3,000 foot at a whack. You only need about 2-3 feet. The mule tape is very strong, what I am looking for is a bracket that I can attach the hook directly to it and not be depending on a polyester woven rope. Why? Well if your driving down the road, you don't want it to break and the blade drop down and possibly dig in.:)

·
Registered
5 Posts
plow

i have an 03 6x4 traditional gator. it has a plow that slides under half way and is supposed to clip in then it clips into the front with an electrical motor, but i cant get it to work properly or fit right it may be missing parts, does anyone have a parts list and manual for the plow or even picture i can go by.It is a 72 inch manual john deere plow

1 - 11 of 11 Posts