John Deere Gator Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have the standard plow and I am worried it is not going to sufficient to handle the blizzards that hit Preston County, WV. Anyone have any issues/problems with the plow? Is it worth the upgrade to the Boss V?

thanks

·
Registered
10 Posts
How do you like the Boss and 825i

Hi I'm from MN and purchased a gator 825i over the holidays. We live in the country so plow usage would be for the yard and a fairly long driveway. I would to purchase the Boss V for the gator, but am worried about the weight. Its really the only thing I"m worried about.

I currently have (had it for 15 years) a Moose County Plow on a Honda Foreman 450ES and really like it. Given some changes to yard configuration, though, I would like to go to a V plow. The COunty Plow doesn't owe me anything. Moose also has a V plow, but it doesn't look like its built as well as Boss.

Question is how do you like your Boss V on the 825i? Any issues with weight. Would you make the same decision again.

Thanks for your time.

·
Registered
709 Posts
A couple of things we have noticed when selling the Boss Blade

The Boss Blade is a lot heavier than anything Deere has. Mainly has to do with the hydraulic set up that comes with that blade. Plus you have flared wings which adds more metal. What we have done to counter act that is to crank up the shocks in the front and add about 200-300 lbs in the bed of the gator. That levels it out a lot better.

The other thing is the power requirement for The Boss blade is a big higher than what Deere recommends. So if you are running a lot of lights, and the blade, and a heater, etc, there could be a power issue.

With that said, The Boss Blade is a very nice set up. And for the money you really get a pretty good blade. The idea that you can raise and lower/pitch both wings independently from the cab using their remote, it's pretty cool..

Overall i would say it's well worth the money as long as you set up the suspension right and add some weight to the bed! Out of our 4 dealerships we have purchased 20 blades from our distributor had have 3 left. And that's over 2 years.

·
Registered
62 Posts
I upgraded to the Boss V plow on my 12' Gator 825i this year and it's a beast. The Boss is heavier not only because of the hydraulics but the blade is heavier ga steel, the blade is taller, and is just a lot more robust plow. Initially I used 200 lbs of ballast but after the first trial I upped it to 500 lbs in the bed and it's been great. The power requirement might be an issue on the 620i but I haven't had any with my 825i's high output alternator. The only downside I see with the Boss is the price, otherwise it's a great addition to the gator.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Comforting words

One never knows whether or not to believe online comments. Lots of subjectivity. Both comments make me feel much better about a potential decision. Especially coming from a JD rep.

I have to admit, though, that the weight issue still gnaws at me. Growing up on the farm the motto used to be ballast and more weight hanging off tractors to get them to pull more. What we learned over the years is that something has to give! Now, at least from my experience, ballast is not recommended and tractors pull what they pull.

What I worry about here is differential, bearings, etc. on the front end not being able to take the weight. Essentially, something has to give if you are adding enough weight that the springs need to be cranked up.

Listening to you it sounds like you haven't heard of any problems with the gator due to weight of The Boss. In fact JD is recommending this plow for the 825i? I'm probably also not yet used to what the gator is capable of and I'm used to my Honda Foreman 450 and Moose County Plow.

I used the honda over the weekend and noted that even for that setup it squats the front of the 4wheeler by a couple of inches when picked up plus I have 30 lbs of sand strapped to the backend every winter.

I'm not worried about electrical. I don't have heater, extra lights, etc.

So what I'm hearing is that other than the cost I shouldn't be worried about adding it to the front of the 825i?

Thank you both for your comments...

·
Registered
709 Posts
Well i will tell you that Deere does NOT recommend the Boss Blade because of the power requirements of that blade. That being said, there are hundreds if not thousands of those UTV blades out there in customers hands (well on their machines) and i haven't heard of a single problem.

As far as weight, crank your shocks up in the front, you'll be fine with that. As far as ballast in the back, that machine is Rated (well below what it's capable of) to HAUL 1400 lbs and TOW 1500 lbs. I'd say putting 500 LBS in the back, with the shocks cranked up, you should be just fine. We have sold quite a few of those blades with really good luck.

With all that being said, John Deere's straight blade is a really nice blade as well. I dont like the V-Blade because it's manual, which is the reason why we sell The Boss. ALSO, Deere doesnt recommend that blade ONLY because of the power requirement, not because of weight.

·
Registered
10 Posts
thx

Thx DeereSales. You now have me swayed back the other direction. Before the wknd started I had convinced myself that I shouldn't buy this plow. Never had so much trouble making a decision buying what I thought was such a good quality product.

It doesn't seem like it, but I had the Moose County for 15 years. I sure expect to be spending that long with the next plow which is also why I am willing to make an investment in it.

Regarding power, like I said I won't have all the other bells and whistles. Just standard lights.

·
Registered
62 Posts
If you do decide to go with the Boss I'd recommend purchasing the Boss UTV plow light kit also....your stock headlights will not be high enough to use with the plow. (If you don't already have worklights mounted on your roof) The Boss lights aren't cheap at approx $225 but they are quality lights and completely plug and play, you plug 2 wires into the plow side...then 3 wires on the Gator side....put the switch in the dash and plug it in and that's it. I popped out the round plug just to the left of the steering wheel that reveals a 1/2" square hole and installed my switch there so there wasn't any drilling at all.

·
Registered
10 Posts
I have a 72" power tach on my hpx. The thing has balls and can plow all day and night. The only issue I have had is that the gator idles down to a stall if you have too much draw on the machine. The other problem was that the plow shut down on a really cold day (5 degrees) under a load. Don't know why but I trouble shot every wire ordered a new solenoid and wire harness(sent free of charge from powertach with a new re designed 60 amp relay) put everything back soldered many of the connections and the blades seems to work. Will know this afternoon here in NJ. when working it will move snow as well as my contractor. Maybe I am a little more impressed because I used 265 with manual blade angle for 20 years.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Watch the power requirements for the blade you have an 825 a bigger machine than mine but I have problems with power on the hpx 4x with thee 72 hydraulic blade

·
Registered
2 Posts
Boss plow

I'm new at forum posting but have a problem I'm hoping someone can help me with. I have a 2012 825i and put a Boss V plow on it last winter. Both front axel shafts and joints had to be replaced after plowing. Then 2 weeks after getting it back one axel shaft went. It was the end of winter so after replacing it our dealer extended the warranty for a year. Well this winter came early and sure enough, first plow and its down again. I have had mechanics tell me it could be the differential settings from the factory or heavy duty shocks needed...any help out there? My husband and I used it all summer with no problems. I talked to Boss and they said they've never had a problem with the Deere.

·
Registered
2 Posts
A couple of things we have noticed when selling the Boss Blade

The Boss Blade is a lot heavier than anything Deere has. Mainly has to do with the hydraulic set up that comes with that blade. Plus you have flared wings which adds more metal. What we have done to counter act that is to crank up the shocks in the front and add about 200-300 lbs in the bed of the gator. That levels it out a lot better.

The other thing is the power requirement for The Boss blade is a big higher than what Deere recommends. So if you are running a lot of lights, and the blade, and a heater, etc, there could be a power issue.

With that said, The Boss Blade is a very nice set up. And for the money you really get a pretty good blade. The idea that you can raise and lower/pitch both wings independently from the cab using their remote, it's pretty cool..

Overall i would say it's well worth the money as long as you set up the suspension right and add some weight to the bed! Out of our 4 dealerships we have purchased 20 blades from our distributor had have 3 left. And that's over 2 years.
I have a 2012 825i with a Boss V plow on it. Last winter I had to replace both front axel shafts and joints first time and 2 weeks after getting it back I had to replace one again. This year winter came early and sure enough its down yet again. John Deere tells me to go thru our local dealer but the mechanic there is clueless...not certified John Deere. Help!

1 - 13 of 13 Posts