John Deere Gator Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My 2019 TX model Gator has developed a popping/crunching noise in what seems to be the right rear end. This only happens when I put the frame in a bind - like crossing a steep ditch - and even then it is not consistent. Seems to happen more often when either left or right front wheel is elevated when the other is not. I'm not able to manually reproduce - have raised the bed and walked around shaking/pushing and never hear the pop. When in motion, I have raised the bed and turned around to watch and I don't see anything moving when it pops. It is at the dealer now (still has a few months of warranty left) and the service tech has not been able to locate the cause. He did decide that the clutch needed replacement and has ordered a warranty replacement for that. He says the buttons aren't aligning correctly and thinks that may be producing some noise. It is difficult for me to understand why putting the frame in a bind could cause clutch noise, but he wants to try the replacement. He says "these machines produce all kinds of noises even when everything is right", so doesn't seem to be too concerned. He has checked the shocks and says all are fine. He may be right that it is nothing serious, but hearing the popping noise all day is a nuisance!

Does anybody have any ideas of what to look for?

·
Super Moderator
3,046 Posts
Seems like a Powertrain issue to me..axle or perhaps differential gears ?

·
Registered
1,240 Posts
It's probably something that will fail shortly after the warranty expire. 😀

I hope they can find and fix it.

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
After test driving with the bed up and service tech watching, it appears that the noise is coming from the square bracket between the engine and the frame just behind the seats. (Sorry, don't know the actual name for that assembly - maybe it is a motor mount - but it is a bushing with a large rubber gasket.) Shortly after I got this gator, it started squawking like a duck when I hit bumps. Took it to the tech and he said that bracket needed grease and he greased it. That fixed the squawk, but shortly after that this popping noise started. He says now the rubber is bunching up on one end. He is going to get it replaced under warranty. Seems that I've had a lot of trouble with this machine. Three trips back for warranty work and now a fourth one once the part comes it. My previous gator had no warranty work and very little other work over its 15 year lifespan!

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
After closer examination, the part in question appears to be what the parts diagram calls a 'pivot'. It is the point where the skid plate (or the tray that holds the motor and transmission) mounts to the frame - just behind the seats. Part # AM138627. When I drive over a small ditch bank, I hear popping as the pivot shifts from side to side - looks like about a 1/8 inch play. Rubber is visible on one side but not the other. I managed to get a wrench on the bolt which runs through the center of it and it appears to be tight. I'm guessing the rubber is missing from one side, causing the popping. I've searched for these symptoms but am not finding any other reports of such.

·
Super Moderator
3,046 Posts
Thank you for following up with a resolution of the issue you were experiencing.

We your fix of the popping sound other members who are reporting a similar or same problem can reference your post for guidance.

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
After a couple of weeks of use, my 'popping pivot' is re-occurring with the new pivot. It appears to me that there has to be a design problem with this pivot. I still have a few months of warranty left, so I guess it is back to the dealer (fifth time for the gator, third time for this same problem). Very annoying...

·
Registered
1,240 Posts
Good luck and keep us posted of the outcome.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts