John Deere Gator Forums banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 1999 6x4 gator that I bought new. For the past year the plugs have been fouling because it has been running too rich. I have tried to adjust the mixture knob on the carb with no luck. The knob rotates about 3/4's of a turn. I have turned it to both extremes and the plugs foul in both positions. The plugs will run about 10 hrs before one or both fail, if I put new plugs in it runs fine for another 10 hrs. The plugs are black and smell of gas. Do I need to rebuild the carberator? Has anyone else had this problem?

·
Registered
12 Posts
Yeah check your compression on all of the cylinders.

You could also have a weak ignition system, check the voltage going to your ignition coil and make sure that you are getting full voltage that is something similar to what you are getting at the output of the alternator which should be something around 14 volts with the engine running.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Ok, sounds like your head gasket is probably fine, either weak ignition or a problem with the carb running really rich, weak ignition should show up as a lack of power, running rich (sometimes but not always) will show up as a lot of carbon dust coming out of the exhaust pipe and what you already know as smelling gas from the exhaust pipe.

If you took it to a DEQ testing station for automobiles it would probably be failing the un-burned hydrocarbons test, and probably the excessive carbon-monoxide test also.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts