John Deere Gator Forums banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I assume it was a squirrel because they do this kind of crap often at my house on various plastic things. I have a Gator out at my woodlot and I go to use it and there is a large hole chewed in the gas tank and the gas is gone! First, it wouldn't start. Then I was adding gas and that is when I saw gas leaking out of the hole, almost dime size. What do you suggest I patch this black plastic tank with? I have checked... Gator gas tanks are expensive! It needs to be ok for gasoline use.

·
Registered
75 Posts
Sorry, can't help. Will watch this thread--I would like to find a gasoline proof adhesive.

My only suggestion is to park the Gator where the squirrels are unlikely to get to it. (After you fix it.)

·
Registered
2,033 Posts
Considering a has leak can become very dangerous, I’d consider replacing and foregoing the patch job.

I think JB weld might have some type of adhesive. Suggest looking at the companies web site for a solution.

·
Registered
2 Posts
I assume it was a squirrel because they do this kind of crap often at my house on various plastic things. I have a Gator out at my woodlot and I go to use it and there is a large hole chewed in the gas tank and the gas is gone! First, it wouldn't start. Then I was adding gas and that is when I saw gas leaking out of the hole, almost dime size. What do you suggest I patch this black plastic tank with? I have checked... Gator gas tanks are expensive! It needs to be ok for gasoline use.
You might want to consider using a product called Quiksteel . It's a plastic reinforced epoxy putty made by BlueMagic. I've used it on several plastic repair jobs and they are fixed once and for good.
It sticks to all sorts of materials, and it can be drilled, sanded, painted. Thanks.

·
Registered
44 Posts
Try Linda Krenzler on FB Marketplace, her husband hobbies at Gator rebuilding and parting.

·
Registered
67 Posts
I have built fuel tanks and repaired several others. The most extensive repair was the fuel tank on an old Land Cruiser. I was sure it was leaking from the hairball of vapor lines but it turned out be the outside bottom of the fuel tank. The tank is under a steel cover under the passenger seat. Over the years, dirt, leaves, twigs and a few long lost tools had gotten under the cover and built up between the floor pan and tank. It was an absolute mess of rust scale and I couldn't find a replacement. When I removed the scale and exposed the base metal some of the leaks had opened to 1/8" and there were many. I made a band-aide of 4x12" strips of fiberglass screen. I mixed up enough Devcon Plasic Steel Putty to coat both one side and layed it out. It took two more to cover the whole area. When cured I mixed up more putty and applied a layer over the whole area. I sanded the top coat to rough it up a bit and primed/pained with Rustoleum (brush on).

That was almost twenty years ago. You can find Devcon at industrial suppliers. Its expensive. It could care less about pump fuel. I also fixed some leaks on a MC tank with it. I was trying out some VP C16 fuel and it dissolved the sealer inside the tank (that was a mess). I found the problem spots under the tank on a welded seam and used the Plastic Steel Liquid and brushed it on in a few coats. Never leaked again.

On a plastic tank, I'd very lightly rough it up and use the band-aide method with the putty and reapply it to get it as thick as the tank's wall. It's good stuff to have around the shop but shelf life is only a year once opened.

As for squirrel damage, ours like wire and harnesses.

·
Registered
196 Posts
FWIW...someone years ago told me to use conventional clothes dryer sheet to discourage rodents chewing or wintering within canvas or plastic closed spaces.. I use a liberal number of dryer sheets under the boat tarp, throughout the pool house storage area and on top of various canoe back packs, etc. If your machine is stored in a shed or garage you might give it a try.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts