John Deere Gator Forums banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi. I recently notice my JD 855 diesel kinda does funny things with my 4*4.
When i engage it into 4by4, it works great. no noises or nothing. perfect. but when i dissengage, it almost sounds or feels like its not fully disengaged. i hear a rumlbing or rippling sounds. i have to completly stop and derpress button couple times and turn gator on and off. doesnt happen often . just it irritating not knowing what the cause is.. thanks all who reply.

·
Registered
768 Posts
Search the forums. I vaguely remember several people experiencing similar. I believe most model engage the 4x4 in a similar manor (625, 825, 855, etc...).

It might help to search the illustrated parts to get some idea what parts there are jdparts.com

Report back what you find.

·
Registered
53 Posts
Hi. I recently notice my JD 855 diesel kinda does funny things with my 4*4.
When i engage it into 4by4, it works great. no noises or nothing. perfect. but when i dissengage, it almost sounds or feels like its not fully disengaged. i hear a rumlbing or rippling sounds. i have to completly stop and derpress button couple times and turn gator on and off. doesnt happen often . just it irritating not knowing what the cause is.. thanks all who reply.

What you are referring to is called wedging, whereas the 4wd driveline stays engaged even if you disable it.
You should be able to fully disengage 4x4 by driving reverse for a few feet in a straight line for 20ft. almost like the old 4wd trucks that you had to turn the hub and reverse to disengage.
If its still engaged don't turn shapely on pavement with 4x4 you could break the driveline.

On some 825i they have a John Deere have a DTAC under warranty on replacing the pillow block / Pillow bearing on the driveline, technically its the same driveline on the 855, just a different engine.
You can access the pillow bearing from under the machine approximately in the middle, remove the plate to inspect it. I apply fluid film on mine a few times a year.

Attachments

1 - 3 of 3 Posts