John Deere Gator Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I recently changed the oil in my 620i gator. I added 1.4 quarts and then later added another 1.4 quarts, forgetting I had already added oil previously. I drove the gator around the yard and it smoked terribly. Trying to figure out what I did I drove back to my shop which was approximately one hundred yards and discovered I had added twice too much oil. I immediately drained out the oil and added 1.4 quarts of new oil. My gator still, after two and a half hours of runtime still smokes. It has never smoked in the past until I added too much oil. Any suggestions about what I could do to possibly cure this problem?

·
Super Moderator
3,640 Posts
You might check the muffler, in case there was some blow by....

Reactions: Dave Jr

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I've run the crap out of it for over an hour, we will see. Thought about taking muffler off but I'm sure a bolt or something would ring off, so I'll just try running it hard first.

·
Registered
10 Posts
It will take a few hours to clear. I've seen roll-over cars restart smoke terribly but clear up. You may want to pull the plugs and clean them. But absolutely do not put anything like solvent in the cylinders. You could hydro-lock and bend rods or even break things.

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Ran it another 45 minutes, a lot of it wide open for 3/4 mile at a time. Removed muffler and found no oil residue. Still smokes if you get on it hard. Still crossing fingers that it will clear up.

·
Registered
61 Posts
I recently changed oil. You know how many years its been since I forgot to put the plug back in before adding oil? I'm regressing.

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Update on smoke. Still smoking. Still no oil in muffler, good clean spark plugs and still runs as good as ever. Guess I'll just ride her out and see what happens.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts