John Deere Gator Forums banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Put new SunF tires on my 825i last spring. My rear tires still look like new but my front tires are almost completely shot. i drive on gravel and blacktop mostly. Why do the front tires wear out and the rear tires don’t show much wear.

·
Administrator
4,030 Posts
Put new SunF tires on my 825i last spring. My rear tires still look like new but my front tires are almost completely shot. i drive on gravel and blacktop mostly. Why do the front tires wear out and the rear tires don’t show much wear.
What area of the tire shows wear ?

·
Administrator
4,030 Posts

·
Administrator
4,030 Posts
When I checked tire pressure nothing registered so going by the tire I put 14 lbs of air in each one
I’m now looking at the photo on a larger screen, is there wear on the edges as well ?

·
Administrator
4,030 Posts
No. Just the center treads seem to be wearing out. Funny it’s about every other tread.
When did you add air ?

·
Administrator
4,030 Posts
No. Just the center treads seem to be wearing out. Funny it’s about every other tread.
Patchy or alternating type wear can be a sign of out of balance. Have you checked bushings and toe in at any point in time ? This may not be an issue, however it is something to keep in mind.

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Patchy or alternating type wear can be a sign of out of balance. Have you checked bushings and toe in at any point in time ? This may not be an issue, however it is something to keep in mind.
put air in after I noticed the wear. I will check the toe in I just recently put new ball joints on.

·
Registered
2,136 Posts
What did the original tires look like the sunF replaced?

Similar to a car, any alignment or play in the suspension will cause issues. ( worn of soft bushings, bearings, ball joints, tie rods, steering, shocks, etc.) Can you confirm what has been checked and measured?

Could be a poor quality tire with suspect rubber mixing, layup and/or mold processing.

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
What did the original tires look like the sunF replaced?

Similar to a car, any alignment or play in the suspension will cause issues. ( worn of soft bushings, bearings, ball joints, tie rods, steering, shocks, etc.) Can you confirm what has been checked and measured?

Could be a poor quality tire with suspect rubber mixing, layup and/or mold processing.
Replaced original tires because each one had dozens of plugs in them. Tread wise they looked fine.

·
Registered
416 Posts
First, ATV tires like SunF have a soft compound that roads and gravel will chew up. If you are not in the dirt or mud, then DOT rated tires are in order. Kanati Mongrels and similar products have a harder compound, 10 ply rated, and will last. Front wear is simply the side thrust due to turning the wheels. Also make sure you get a computer alignment. New Gators are delivered out of alignment and owners don't know to get that done. Les Schwab does them in most locations. If you're 90% on gravel and roads, the less expensive way to go is a set of rims and off road tires like the Grabber ATX. The sticky on street tires talks about using trailer rims and whatever tire suits your use. I run a set of street radials on an 855D in the summer and the Grabbers on an 865R all year.

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
First, ATV tires like SunF have a soft compound that roads and gravel will chew up. If you are not in the dirt or mud, then DOT rated tires are in order. Kanati Mongrels and similar products have a harder compound, 10 ply rated, and will last. Front wear is simply the side thrust due to turning the wheels. Also make sure you get a computer alignment. New Gators are delivered out of alignment and owners don't know to get that done. Les Schwab does them in most locations. If you're 90% on gravel and roads, the less expensive way to go is a set of rims and off road tires like the Grabber ATX. The sticky on street tires talks about using trailer rims and whatever tire suits your use. I run a set of street radials on an 855D in the summer and the Grabbers on an 865R all year

·
Administrator
4,030 Posts
1 - 17 of 17 Posts