John Deere Gator Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Our fire dept. purchased a 2011 825i, we have a kimtech firelite skid ( wildland fire unit) this unit when full is around 900lbs. Now our gator suspension is bottomed out. Are there any shock/ spring upgrades other than the Fox $1500 option?

Thanks

·
Registered
1 Posts
Problem with rear suspension

We have a 855d it has the 2 45gal john deere tanks, witch comes out to be 805 lbs of weight. Our suspension is bottomed out, and when we go out into the woods the rear of the gator bottoms out so bad that you can here it. Ive tried to talk to the dealer that i bought it from, they said call jd. So i did, they said the ride height was suppose to be like that with the amount of weight that is on the gator. This thing is suppose to haul 1000+ on here and it is all ready on the bottom.Can anyone suggest what other kind of shock i can use, because the shocks that are on here now can handle it.:mad:

·
Registered
46 Posts
It's really disappointing to hear that. So far, I have only loaded up a couple hundred pounds in mine and the sag isn't too bad (preload on middle setting), but soon it will be time to fertilize and I'm planning on using the sprayer in the bed. Fortunately, ride to the pastures isn't too rough, but I was really hoping to hear how well the XUV could handle the payload - not how poorly. :(

I'm looking for solutions, and I'll be watching this thread in anticipation. I'm sure it's just a matter of time before solutions start appearing, but I expect better from JD.

- Steve in sunny CO

·
Registered
1 Posts
Suspension help

You should not need new shocks. Can you get your local machine shop to make you some spring spacers to go between your adjusters and the end of the spring. Aluminum works good.

This will raise the loaded height and may also make the ride harsher when empty, but it will not bottom out. Make them as long as you need. Start long because you can machine them shorter.

GDG

·
Registered
46 Posts
I cranked the preload but still have quite a bit of sag with even just 500# in the back (admittedly, hanging off the rear of the tailgate).

-Steve in CO

·
Registered
25 Posts
Fire dept 825i sagging

We just bought a 2014 825i and put a slide in unit it and it is bottoming out also. I tightened the preload on ther shocks all the way and its not helping. Any other ideas other than dumping the waster when we know we wont tneed it lol

·
Registered
657 Posts
We just bought a 2014 825i and put a slide in unit it and it is bottoming out also. I tightened the preload on ther shocks all the way and its not helping. Any other ideas other than dumping the waster when we know we wont tneed it lol

A little research should turn up a pair of heavier springs for the rear shocks.

Hope this helps.

·
Registered
1,009 Posts
superatv has a 2 in lift that is a spacer of the spring and its not to pricey. Just thought id share.

·
Registered
657 Posts
If a spacer is all you can get, it might be a last resort, but what you need is springs with a higher spring rate. The spacer would work okay for a lift, but adding such a massive load with spaced springs would sack the springs to junk in very short order.

·
Registered
195 Posts
superatv has a 2 in lift that is a spacer of the spring and its not to pricey. Just thought id share.
I installed these spacers over a year ago and it helped a lot, I haul a lot of firewood and let it sit in the back sometimes for long period and I haven't noticed any sag in the springs after unloading.

·
Registered
77 Posts
Our fire dept. purchased a 2011 825i, we have a kimtech firelite skid ( wildland fire unit) this unit when full is around 900lbs. Now our gator suspension is bottomed out. Are there any shock/ spring upgrades other than the Fox $1500 option?

Thanks
I was on Ebay and found a pair of custome springs just for waht you are doing. I would love to tell you the exact site, but I forgot.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts