John Deere Gator Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello, this is about an old TE - Gator (Electro-Hydro) that I inherited in a non-working condition and I don't understand exactly why. So far, troubleshooting has shown the following:

Everything that works:

We put in new batteries. They can be charged normally via the charger and the charge indicator on the dashboard shows this correctly.
1. Question: IS THIS DISPLAY CONTROLLED BY THE CENTRAL CURTIS CONTROLLER AND SO DOES IT PROVE THAT THE CURTIS CONTROLLER IS BASICALLY WORKING? The Curtis Controller is the central control unit for the entire vehicle and shows error codes by flashing lamps.

The hydraulics for moving the loading area up and down works and the lights can also be switched on.

When you turn the key, current is passed on as it should.

Things that DO NOT WORK:

When you step on the accelerator, the relevant micro-controller (see photos) no longer seems to be functional. The electricity goes in, but does not come out on the other side.
2. Question: Should this actually be indicated by the central Curtis controller with a flashing light as an error code, or does it mean that the Curtis controller is also broken because it does not react with a flashing error code?

3rd question: Does anyone have to sell a (used) Curtis controller at a reasonable price?

4th question: Does someone have to hand over a (used) micro-controller for the accelerator pedal from an old vehicle by chance. This part is called THROTTLE POTENTIOMETER (see photos)

If anyone here happens to be able to help with ideas for further troubleshooting and repairing my old Gator (bought around 2002 in France), that would be really great ....

Vehicle baught around 2002

Throttle Potentiometer

Throttlepotentiometer part 1

Throttlepotentiometer part 2

Curtis Controller

·
Registered
1,695 Posts
You might find it useful to procure a copy of the technical manual. There are sections describing theory of operation and how the various components work together. Plus it has tests on how to trouble shot the compensate along with wiring diagrams.

Jdmanual.com or maybe it’s jdmanuals.com

Good luck with your project.

·
Registered
3 Posts
I had something similar go with mine. Look for flashing light on the controller. It should flash a code if there is an error in the system. I didn't really check that in detail at first. Bad on me. I sent my controller in and had it rebuilt because of the price of new or used replacement. They told me it was in good condition and didn't need rebuilding but went through it and did replace some components that were on the edge of tolerances.. I checked flash codes then and replaced the motor speed sensor. All good now. The electrical system in these is strange to say the least, between primary switched, secondary switched and unswitched power.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Lift Parts Warehouse was the company that rebuild my controller. Speed control found on Amazon but most golf cart shops will have one that can be used by changing connector plug.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts