John Deere Gator Forums banner

1 - 20 of 57 Posts

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
So I've been posting a few questions on this forum about the eGator I inherited with the new job. It's a 2006 which has definitely seen better days! I've had so much fun reading about other members projects, upgrades and general fixes that I'm gonna put my semi-resto journey up here also and hopefully add to the wealth of information that's already available.
In 2017 we replaced the 11yo batteries and more recently, the steering rack, so it's worth keeping it alive as the recent investment outweighs it's value!
The big issue and how I got here, is with the bed, it is rotten in all the right places. Rust had caused the tail gate to fall off and from years of hauling, being left outside in the elements and with a plastic bed liner holding moisture, it was only a matter of time before the sides fell off aswell (or worse). So we took the bed off to have a new one fabricated as I wanted a slightly wider bed with detachable extension sides, detachable tool racks, a detachable shelf and whatever else i can think off. Can't beat the custom made stuff for price and versitility!
Then we saw that the battery tray and much of the frame was rusting nicely. So we decided to try and prolong this old girls life best we can by stripping, dealing with the rust and repainting her to some former glory.
Now I'll be learning on the job as the only painting experience I have is with a spray can (holy moley!). But I've got in touch with my local paint refinishing suppliers and they have sent me everything (I hope) I need to respray the gator using my air compressor.
The frame is almost stripped, except for the front suspension which I'll do when I get a tie rod end remover tool (see, learning as I go). I also saw that the kingpin bushings will need replacing so I'll do those aswell, when I figure out how and what tools (anyone?).
I'm trying to get photos up on this post but can't figure out how just yet...

·
Registered
1,057 Posts
Thanks for sharing. Looks like a fun project.

·
Super Moderator
2,831 Posts
Awesome thank you for taking the time and effort to document your work.

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
My Gator spit! Can get at all sides.
She’s hanging ready for paint stripper and rust neutraliser. Planning on using Owaltrol CIP, then primer then colour.

Attachments

·
Super Moderator
2,831 Posts
Nice work, with the amount of preparation you have done I’m certain you will be happy with the results.

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Tks Bradhill, I’m sure I will!
I’m gonna get busy with the paint stripper next, into all the noks n crannys that the angle grinder can’t reach. I’m just hoping that there isn’t too much rotting going on deep in the box sections...

·
Registered
12 Posts
Hey lots a work . I was going to suggest that you have the rust underneath sandblasted . The
Arrowhead shape underneath is where these frames fail . If you leave any rust it will crawl under the seams especially from battery acid .
The gas gators will lose the floor of the battery box and it crawls into seams and then under that arrowhead and then it buckles like a hinge . You might have gotten it just in time. Good luck .

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Hey lots a work . I was going to suggest that you have the rust underneath sandblasted . The
Arrowhead shape underneath is where these frames fail . If you leave any rust it will crawl under the seams especially from battery acid .
The gas gators will lose the floor of the battery box and it crawls into seams and then under that arrowhead and then it buckles like a hinge . You might have gotten it just in time. Good luck .

Yes think I got it in time but in hindsight I should’ve got it hot dipped!
That’s the only way to get into all the box sections.
Anyhow, here’s some more pics. Progress is slow as it’s part time, cold and a steep learning curve but great fun

That’s the rust neutralised.

Thought I’d take care of the little universal snow blade while I was at it

Couple coats of primer

And 1st coat of new Kubota red to match the ride on

And Gator looking splendid in 2 coats of grey primer

Next stop - JD Green

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter #16

Yes think I got it in time but in hindsight I should’ve got it hot dipped!
That’s the only way to get into all the box sections.
Anyhow, here’s some more pics. Progress is slow as it’s part time, cold and a steep learning curve but great fun

That’s the rust neutralised.

Thought I’d take care of the little universal snow blade while I was at it

Couple coats of primer

And 1st coat of new Kubota red to match the ride on

And Gator looking splendid in 2 coats of grey primer

Next stop - JD Green

Oh and Happy Paddy’s Day

·
Registered
189 Posts
I’ve been following this from the start. Can’t say enough about how awesome I think this is. You are doing an A+ job! I always get excited to see your progress. Keep up the good work. I’ll be checking in on the story untill the end product.

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
I’ve been following this from the start. Can’t say enough about how awesome I think this is. You are doing an A+ job! I always get excited to see your progress. Keep up the good work. I’ll be checking in on the story untill the end product.

Thanks G, happy to entertain!

1st shot of the green we know & love

2nd & final coat on d’plough

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Painting finished, next stop-suspension rebuild and paint

1 - 20 of 57 Posts