John Deere Gator Forums banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Test drove a Gator 855 diesel today, loads of extras, 17 hours on the clock, warn winch, spots, fogs, high back seats, electric tip, brush guards full cab.
What it's missing is power steering, which was surprisingly stiff and a heater, which wasn't as necessary as I thought.
But that's not the reason I've joined a forum about gators.................
How come it's so noisy? I'm a farmer, I wouldn't tolerate this in any other machine! I would need to wear ear defenders in it.
So, I need a solution because I really like the machine even though it was jumping out of gear when in forward high and wouldn't go from forward to reverse with your foot on the brake. It got stuck on the test drive with the owner driving it. It still has a years warranty and I think it's probably cable adjustment but perhaps you could enlighten me about that too?
Anyway noise noise noise, I need a solution !!! Thanks guys!!!!
Oh and have test drove cub cadet and Kubota and the gator is streets ahead.

·
Registered
46 Posts
First off, welcome to the forum, Farmermick!

The shift problems sound like the linkage needs adjustment - or possibly something is bent. Should be easily fixed, but it seems like some JD dealerships aren't quite as adept as other. :(

As for the noise, I have experience with a couple of 825i's (including my own) and a neighbor/friend's 850D. All are open, not cabbed, however. (My machine has a roof and windshield; the others are totally open.) The diesel 850D is definitely louder than my machine, but not to the point that you need hearing protection. (The gas machines are not as quiet as I'd like either.)

I don't know a whole lot about quieting the machine. Most of what I have seen is to isolate the noise from the driver. Check out the forum (and also the johndeeregatorforum.com that I see you also posted in) for "sound deadening". There are a number of posts on using sound deadening material. They are (mostly?) aimed at the 825i but should apply directly to the 855D as well. (Of course, that means you have to make the purchase and hope it works. :confused:)

As for quieting the machine, ATVsilencer offers (or will soon) a slip-on additional muffler for the 825i. Don't know if it would work on the 855D (and with the lower numbers of 855Ds out there, don't know if they would target that machine specifically). The other problem is exhaust is only one source of noise. Intake would be my next target, but I don't have any specific suggestions. The transmission also contributes, but it's small compared to the engine.

Best of luck in your decision and definitely best of luck if you get the machine and work to quiet it!

- Steve in CO

·
Registered
4 Posts
hi.. i have just bought and 850 d on tracks.. it has a close cab with doors.. it is unbelievably noisy inside,, i even moved the air breather from under the passenger seat and mounted it on the roof outside but it only made a slight difference. i think there is a deep drooning type noise commin out of the drive belt when reved up or sumting, very dissapointed

1 - 3 of 3 Posts