John Deere Gator Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok, so I am new, and this is my first post, and I don't own one yet. Hopefully not everyone will ignore my post, but honestly I am looking for some information.

I recently bought a 800 RZR EBS/EPS (abouta month old), nice vehicle for the person that like to let it all hang out, but there are several things I really don't like about it.

SO while at the JD dealer picking up parts for my tractor, I spotted one of the RSX sport models. I actually liked the looks of it, I also like a lot of things, like the doors, and the 2 inch receiver, bigger bed, etc.

While every single one of these sxs have their little issues, quirks, and whatever someone can complain about, I would really like to know what are some of the things you don't like, or you this is odd, pretty much anything.

I am honestly thinking about trading the RZR just because I don't like the Engine Braking System, I can't tell you how many 180's I have done because of it locking the rear wheels when you let off the gas pedal. I also don't like the on-demand AWD, for me when I push the button to engage the front wheels, I want them engaged, not when the rear wheels start to spin.

If you would, even if it is petty, what is it you don't like about RSX? What are some of the quirks? If I am going to take a loss on my RZR, I at least would like to make sure I am doing an upgrade and not getting a similar set of problems.

Thank you

Brian

·
Registered
242 Posts
Biggest thing for me is the RSX need a 2 inch lift and larger tires... The tires are not a big deal as I will invest in some this spring, probably some 29s...Super ATV had a lift out for the RSX but stopped production on it to do some refinements to the product....second is it would be nice to get rid of the electronic governor...but I'm not running 60mph on the trails anyway. Other than that I love it.

·
Registered
146 Posts
It's a good machine that fits the niche between a rzr and a Ranger. As for negatives, it is LOUD. Extremely loud over 5000 rpm's. Test drive one with a passenger. If you are by yourself romping down trails, it's a hoot. However, don't plan on having any conversations with a passenger unless you're yelling at them. Another negative was the lights on the stock machine. There is no headlight adjustment. HID bulbs and an LED bar cured that. In conclusion, I truly like my machine. The power out of the hole is pretty impressive. Also, it's built like a tank. Put it side by side with a RZR or Ranger and compare the frame, a-arms and axles.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
The subject was supposed to be "Thinking About it", but something happen, probably my own impairment.

Not sure how much louder that RSX is over the RZR, you can barely talk IMO at idle with the RZR.

One of my main concerns is going down hill at slow speeds. In my RZR, it pretty much locks the rear end up with the Engine Braking System.

Does the RSX coast/freewheel, how does it do in this respect?

To make things worse, even in AWD, the front end just rolls, so between sliding and holding on for dear life, about all you can do is either accelerate down the hill or hope that you can steer out of with the front wheels, but since the front wheels can't pull, you're really at the mercy of your driving talent and terrain.

·
Registered
76 Posts
The RSX will only use engine breaking if you slightly keep your foot on the pedal, if you remove your foot totally it will free wheel.

·
Registered
3 Posts
i really like my trail rsx. it is loud but if you get the rear window it helps a bit. i think mine has gotten quieter over time after it has been broke in. in low range the engine brake works very well have gone down some very steep hills. i have the 2 inch lift kit from super atv. but any one can make a lift for it just have to move the shock mounts down. rode it through some water and did very good except for the tires arent very good. it is a tank i rode over some trees that were 3" in diameter and had no problem knocking them down. would like to put a power steering kit on it though. trail riding can get a little tiresome when you need to turn around or tight turns at slow speed.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I've been doing some research, and sounds like really the biggest thing the RZR has going for it is the "Aftermarket". I really like the RSX from the looks of it but in the end, it almost appears that the drive train is very similar (but I would really like to have true 4WD over the On_Demand all wheel drive) and getting what I am looking for isn't going to happen with either.

·
Registered
89 Posts
Tools needed for a belt change?

Going on a 4 day trip to Ride royal blue .
Bought a extra belt and wanted to know what tools I would need to bring on the trail, for a belt change.
Any help would be great.

·
Registered
163 Posts
Going on a 4 day trip to Ride royal blue .
Bought a extra belt and wanted to know what tools I would need to bring on the trail, for a belt change.
Any help would be great.
My dealer did mine, you have to remove the seats down to get to it, and they had to order a special clutch puller for the RSX. I think with a torx set and small socket and wrench set you could get it done, I'm not sure on sizes. It's a job, not hard just time consuming.

·
Registered
146 Posts
You will also need a fairly large snap ring tool. I would call it the "medium" size you can get at NAPA. I had the smallest one they sell and couldn't get the snap ring to expand enough to remove it. Also, can't remember what millimeter the bolts are that fasten on the cover, but you will need at least a six inch (maybe a little longer) extension to get to the bolts on the left side under the drivers seat. Also, wouldn't hurt to have a length of wood four or five feet long in case you need to spread the clutch a little. The belt goes on tight!!

1 - 11 of 11 Posts