John Deere Gator Forums banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just needing input on buying a new or used gator i hunt,fish alot and would use it for some light chores my neighbor has one and told me not to buy one cause it hangs up and the belt slips dont want to spend money on something the has to be worked or in shop.

·
Registered
46 Posts
A big welcome to the forum! Hope we can help with your questions, decisions, and, if you get a Gator, your enjoyment of the machine!

Not sure about your neighbor's machine, but consider its age, what general shape it's in, how well he uses/maintains it, and the model. In my Gator experience, they are very robust. I am mostly familiar with XUV 850Ds and my new 825i. Mine doesn't have enough hours on it yet to really be an indicator, but I've had no issues. Some neighbors have 850Ds with many hours and no issues. Not sure what machines you might be interested in. From posts on the forum, the new XUV 550 may have some teething issues (drive train), but I would expect them to be worked out by JD.

Here, UTVs are mostly workhorse chore machines. I think mine has seen more off-road play in its short life than most of the others combined. I have a nearby stream, but I am careful fording it (at least until I get a snorkel for my air intake - and probably for the CVT intake vent as well). I've read on the forums about getting the belt wet and slipping, but I haven't tested that. Other than that, no slippage issues that I know of unless the belt is well worn and in need of replacement.

As for "hanging up", it depends on the model. My 825i has decent ground clearance, good suspension articulation and tractor like tires (stock Ankla), and it's a beast. I haven't tried too hard to this point, but I have yet to stick it where I couldn't get out with just the 4WD and diff lock. I was considering a used HPX which would be less capable, but it would probably suffice for my needs.

Hope this helps! I'm sure you're likely to get more responses from more seasoned Gator owners as well.

Good luck with whatever you decide!

- Steve in cool, sunny CO

1 - 2 of 2 Posts