John Deere Gator Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Greetings,

I have a 2007 Gator TX with a Kawasaki FJ400D engine. This machine has about 2300 hours on it. It runs well overall. Recently when the guys were out with it they said that it had a large backfire like a shotgun and was spitting and sputtering. They said that it only backfired once. It recently had the oil changed, fuel filter and a new spark plug (NGKBPR2ES) within the last 10 hours. I checked the compression after they brought it in and was at 135psi. I topped off the oil as it was about 1/2. ( I don't think it was using / losing any just wasn't at the right spot after the oil change). The air filter seems good.
They have been out using it a few hours and have no complaints as of yet of it backfiring.

So here is my question. I know that B&S V-Twin engines will develop a wear spot around the float valve which will not seal properly letting gas into the engine when at rest. Is it possible at this amount of hours on this gator that a wear spot has developed on this carburetor which may have led to a backfire? I know these are completely different engines and completely different carburetors but I was just curious if anyone has ever seen this float valve wear with gators or other small Kawasaki engines in golf carts etc.

Thanks for any replies
Sean

·
Registered
426 Posts
2000 hours is usually the spot where wear items like these go bad.
The timeline on these usually goes:
0-2000 new machine
2000-4000 used machine
4000-6000 end is near

So yes you can sort of compare it with a car in that sense

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for the reply and comparison on hours. That is good information to keep in mind. I have gone through many of the front ends on our machine as shocks bushings etc have started to wear. I have a few primary clutches that will need attention soon. What other "wear items" should I keep in mind?

·
Registered
426 Posts
For a tx its usually the following we check on a service:

Brakes/handbrakes.
Rear bearings.
Front bearings
Kingpin and bushings
Steering rack/balljoints
Shocks.
Boots/Rubber components
Steering wheel bushings
Lights
Battery
Valve clearance (usually when the engine gets funky)
Vario
Belt

If you keep this is a standard list youll be fine

Also check cables and readjust gas cable if needed, these tend to get loose and you lose power.
You can also raise the rpm on the engine side a bit in moderation if you wish to and if possible.
In general i always make them as fast as possible

1 - 4 of 4 Posts