John Deere Gator Forums banner

tips on adding more power

96K views 39 replies 21 participants last post by  GATORDONE 
#1 ·
Has anyone installed aftermarket parts to add pep to a 2011 Gator 825i. Wider drive belt, stronger clutch springs, removed/adjusted the governor, etc.?

I'm just doing a little pondering...

#4 ·
The K&N reduces the air flow restriction somewhat, I run them in my Corvette and my Kawasaki ZX12R but I would stick with the JD if your running the Gator in dusty conditions as I assume they are actually better filters. I also have a JD 990 tractor and I use the JD filters in it. The K&N filter alone provides only very marginal hp gains and then its only at the upper rpm range where the difference in airflow is slightly better than the JD filters. On my 4 cylinder Kawasaki I only got a 10 hp increase by installing filters, Powercommander, Yosh muffler and removing the cat converter.

#10 ·
Universal product:

MAGNUM REVOLUTION PRO II ATV Speed / REV Limiter Ignition CDI Box John Deere Gator 825i

... also this product states:

Highly recommended to wire up a fuel controller to the engine like EVO-Tech or Dyno-Boost prior to the installation of REV-PRO, because this primary ECU mod will allow you to set the injection timing and Air Fuel Ratio, being an essential adjustment in conjunction with enhanced ignition (resolved by REV-PRO), in the reason of higher engine performance.
Without a fuel controller REV-PRO will not perform efficiently.

That puts us at $140 + $150 = $290 for both pieces. Not sure I wanna tackle the install either.

Keeping my eyes open!

#12 ·
I would stay away from those magnum products things. I have heard nothing but bad things about them. Its a generic product that can damage your engine if not properly tuned.

#16 ·
825i clutch

Has anyone installed aftermarket parts to add pep to a 2011 Gator 825i. Wider drive belt, stronger clutch springs, removed/adjusted the governor, etc.?

I'm just doing a little pondering...
I just bought a new 825i, very unhappy about the high engine rpms, john deere could use some clutch specialest's in their team. I made my front clutch spring weaker and my rear clutch spring weaker. Now I do not have to give it so much gas to get some where, myself I think its much eaiser on the engine. It has the same amount of pulling power too. Jd said it could not be done, I knew better. I did not mess with the weights. But I am having some made that weigh a few more grams. Just changing the spring stiffness was a huge inprovement.

#17 ·
I made my front clutch spring weaker and my rear clutch spring weaker.

How did you change the stiffness of the clutch springs?

#18 ·
I made my front clutch spring weaker and my rear clutch spring weaker.

How did you change the stiffness of the clutch springs?
I'd love to know how it was done too...and, are you saying that your RPM's are lower going the same speed you used to go???....if so, then how fast can you go with the lighter springs???...

Thank you in advance....

Larry in MD

#19 ·
clutch spring

Weakening the clutch springs was very easy, pull off the plastic clutch cover, pull off the outside of the front clutch basket, the rear pully slides off by removeing one long bolt that holds it on. No pully puller is needed at all. With the spring in my hand I ran the outside of the coil evenly around a wheel grinder untill I acheived my goal, It took about 5 tries to get it the way I wanted it. I took off app 1/3 the thickness of the spring on the front and about 1/4 thickness on the back spring, note (I did not shorten the springs at all just weakend the stiffness). Yes it runs the same speed at a lot lower rpm now that it did at a high rpm when I first bought it. If you donot want to mess with your factory springs, their is a company that custome builds any size of compression springs, W B Jones Spring Co.. they have a website as well. If they offered a heaver clutch weight, you would not even have to mess with your clutch springs, I am in the process of trying to have some made, to bennifit other people with the same issues on high rpms that I have, with out having to mess with clutch springs.:)

#20 ·
Tadpolesv....Thanx a bunch for that information...I'm going to open mine up to see what you are talking about, as I have never seen the inside of the clutch cover...I am thinking that once I see it up close, I will understand what you are talking about better as I am not sure exactly where you are grinding the springs...it doesn't sound like it's too much of a big deal though...also, thanx for posting the info about the company that makes the different compression springs...

When you get the clutch weight thing figured out, please post that info as I am very interested in that too...

Larry in MD

#21 ·
Weaking the springs made a huge difference, If you donot understand how to weakin the spring let me know Id be glade to help. You just shave off the outside of the spring to weaken the tension. Very easy. I was sick after driving it for the first time, I thought I had really screwed up. But after weaking the springs. I was satsified. If you do not understand what I am talking about, I will get my brother to help me make a video explainging it in detail.

#22 ·
Weaking the springs made a huge difference, If you donot understand how to weakin the spring let me know Id be glade to help. You just shave off the outside of the spring to weaken the tension. Very easy. I was sick after driving it for the first time, I thought I had really screwed up. But after weaking the springs. I was satsified. If you do not understand what I am talking about, I will get my brother to help me make a video explainging it in detail.
I really appreciate the help and the offer of doing a video of the fix...I'm sure if you did a video and posted on here for others to see, that it would be very much appreciated too....I haven't had a chance to look at mine yet, but when I do, I might then have a question or two about what you did...of course, as I said before...it might be easier to figure out what you did once I see inside the clutch...I'm a dumbass sometimes and can't picture things unless it's staring me in the face...hahaha...

Again...thanks a bunch for your help...your end result is exactly what I hope to achieve....I'm still interested in how the weights work too though...

take care and happy holidays to you and your family...

Larry in MD

#23 ·
I got it explained to me when I was 15. Imagine that the clutch weights and springs are like a clump of grease on your finger and your trying to get it off. If it's a large clump it comes off easy. If it's a light piece of grease it takes more effort. The clutch engagement is the grease and the engine is your finger.

#25 ·
I emailed "Team" Clutch and they have several different primary springs an two secondary ones for the 825I but the weights that are factory are the only profile that they have for them. I know back in my old snowmobile days there were guys machining the clutch halves to get more top end speed. But that gets over my head. But the right guy could tell you how.maybe a snowmobile racer?

#27 ·
Did Team Clutch metion any part/kit numbers for the springs that they have? ...or possibly a website we can check out?

I spoke with the parts manager at the local JD dealership about possibly changing springs out and the only thing he found was a "parts comment" on both springs that were labeled "almond/black". I'm thinking the springs are color coded to identify the pressure ranges they operate.

Top end, I think, will be more difficult to increase as the 825i's onboard computer governs that...not the clutch.

#26 ·
Snorkel

I put a snorkel on the air and belt breather. Went to auto zone and got a round k&n and the rest is just pvc and clamps. It seems like a noticeable difference in power. I like hearing the air suction too! This was all after i went through about 2.5 feet of water and filled the engine with it. Definately going to weaken the clutch springs too!

#28 ·
I just e mailed tech support at TEAM and that's what I was told but didn't ask any more about the spring pressure or part numbers. But your right it would not give you any more MPH because of the computer limiter. Still working on that one. Until someone comes up with a programmer to change it 44 is it.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.