John Deere Gator Forums banner

tire and wheel sizes

22K views 12 replies 7 participants last post by  Geoff T 
#1 ·
I have a 620i. The front tires are getting pretty worn. The rears are ok for now, but I wonder about the future. The fronts are size 25x10-12. Rear are 25x11-12. It appears the rear wheels are wider than the front. The 10 inch wide tires are fairly common, but the 11s are not. If I put 10s on all four corners will I have problems with 4WD?

#2 ·
It is common to have wider tires on the rear. I believe the wider tires may give the Gator a greater cargo carrying capacity.

Using the same tires on all corners should not hurt 4wd use. I would check with your tire shop on compatibility of the tire size with the wider rim.

#6 ·
I have a 2014 XUV 550 s4 and the same tires as yours 25/ 8 x 12
And 25/10 x12 on the rear. This is 4WD.

I just swapped those out for a set that came off a 2016 Can Am

27/9x 14
And 27/11x14

The rims fit perfect. 4 bolt x 137 is the pattern.
The tires are the same Bighorn 2 that Gator also recommends but the 13’s are 2 inches higher.
That plus the extra stance of the 27 in gives you a little more GC. Which is a bonus.

Attachments

#8 ·
Did you use JD factory lug bolts?

#7 · (Edited)
...If I put 10s on all four corners will I have problems with 4WD?
With respect to 4wd operation, it is best to verify the Static Loaded Radius is maintained between front and rear. This can be found in the technical details of the tires you're interested in. Unlike overall diameter, static loaded radius takes into account what happens when the tire is under load. Tires can have the same overall diameter, but differ with respect to static loaded radius.

Also note 2 x static load radius does not equal overall diameter.

Don't trust the sizes stamped on the side wall. Verify with the published technical data.

Since you also mentioned width... Also verify manufactures recommended rim requirements for a given tire model/size.

Good luck and let us know what you pick and how they work for you.

#9 ·
That’s a good question. Yes I used the original JD lugs which fit perfect on the 14 inch stock Can Am alloy rims. I removed the JD original plastic bearing caps as the alloy rim caps also fit perfectly.
Actually the alloy wheels fit better than our stock steel wheels in my model 550 because the hub Diameter was actually a closer fit than the steel JD Rims.
The 6 ply big horn tires are great on trails through Maine in the winter and on are lake.
I plan to get a replacement 2 ply 12 inch tire for the one I punctured for summers , probably which will save on my lawns around the farm.
I have to say though it was pretty cool having to adjust the barn door higher after I installed the 14’s so I could take the Gator out of the barnfor a run.

#10 ·
...If I put 10s on all four corners will I have problems with 4WD?
With respect to 4wd operation, it is best to verify the Static Loaded Radius is maintained between front and rear...

What you say probably makes good sense for a purist. The front tires are quite worn, so I'm sure the static loaded radius is not what it was when new and all four tires met their specs. I use 4wd only in conditions that allow for slippage of the tires due to turning and any differences in pressure, wear, or whatever. I figure that as long as the tires are reasonably close in diameter, things are unlikely to break. My major concern was that the wider rims on the rear would adversely affect the diameter.

I think I will probably replace the front tires with some DOT rated tires of the oem size. Then when the rear tires wear down, get another pair of wheels, either used fronts or some aftermarket narrower rims, and buy the same size tires as the new fronts.

As I recall the JD literature says the tire pressures should be 14 pounds. The tires I have been looking at are load range E, probably significantly stiffer than the original tires. I wonder how that will affect things.

#12 ·
New to the forum,

I have a 2013 XUV 550 s4

Does anyone know where to source the Rims, tires and lift kit this unit?

Any help is appreciated

Welcome Jay!

Generally you will have more responses to your questions if you start a new thread. Otherwise your questions might be overlooked/buried in the current thread.

Also the search function on this forum works great! You will find numerous threads on your questions.

#13 ·
I would consider going to with bighorn2 27/9/14-27/11-14 with alloy rims. I just found a complete set on Craig’s list tires and rims that came off a newer Can Am is that bolted right on perfect. Then you don’t need a lift kit probably. Huge difference. Side by side website you could also get the same thing $900 new for about what I paid used. $700. Years or $2100 from a JD dealer. Our bolt pattern is 4. On 137. That measurement is the distance in millImeters between two closest studs.

Attachments

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.