John Deere Gator Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I manage a condo complex in NJ. Gator is a great tool for the guys but they tear up the sod. and it drives my landscaper crazy. anyone know of a good" turf friendly" tire for these machines. also I am looking for a useful ladder rack if anyone has found one.

·
Registered
165 Posts
John Deere sells a "turf" tire for the gator and it is designed to run on grass without tearing it up. you could possibly find a similar tire tread from a different manufacturer but is the gator and tires tearing up the landscape, is it too wet or are the guys having a little fun during work?:D
By the way, Kenda has a similar tire but I went with a Duro knobby since I'm on a little rougher terrain that grass.

·
Registered
709 Posts
The other questions is what gator are you using? Most gators are going to be turf friendly other than the 6x4 or the RSX. Otherwise they should be fine. Also make sure the Diff lock isn't engaged.

·
Registered
165 Posts
piggy backing on tire tread to wheels

DeereSales101, since you may still be online maybe you help with the wheel removal also. I have purchased the tires and tried to remove the bolts from the rear wheels of my 97 6x4 diesel gator with a 5/8" socket but it was more determined to stay than I was to strip it considering it may be a metric size although the 5/8" felt tight. I moved to the front tires which I found doing some research needs a snap ring plier, which I purchased and after removing the cap, I found what appears to be a 1 1/16" nut and the snap ring has no holes to put the pliers into. What gives Wally? Please help if you can.

·
Registered
709 Posts
Yes the bolts are going to be Metric. Not sure what size tho. If they haven't been taken off they could be kinda seized. I'd recommend an impact for those.

As for the front wheels, yea the cap should come off, big nut comes off, then it should just be a C clip if i remember correctly, not a snap ring. Should just be able to take a pair of channel lock pliers and push the c clip off.

·
Registered
709 Posts
Front Wheel

Removing and Installing Front Wheel Assembly
Removing
1. Park machine safely. (See Parking Safely in the Safety section.)

c CAUTION: Avoid injury! The machine can fall or slip from an unsafe lifting device or supports.

• Use a safe lifting device rated for the load to be lifted.

• Lower machine onto jack stands or other stable supports and block wheels before servicing.

IMPORTANT: Avoid damage! Place jack stands under frame, not under transmission or engine, when raising or supporting machine.

2. Raise machine with a safe lifting device and lower machine onto jack stands or other stable supports. Block wheels remaining on the ground to prevent machine movement.

MX33641

3. Remove the cap (A) from the end of the axle hub.

4. Remove flange head bolt (B).

5. Tap on backside of wheel rim with a soft-faced mallet to remove wheel assembly.

c CAUTION: Avoid injury! Explosive separation of tire and rim parts is possible when they are serviced incorrectly:

• Do not attempt to mount a tire without the proper equipment and experience to perform the job.

6. Take wheel assembly to an authorized service dealer for repairs.

Installing
1. Apply multipurpose grease to spindle shaft before installing wheel.

2. Install wheel assembly with valve stem to the outside.

IMPORTANT: Avoid damage! Over tightening front wheel bolts can result in bearing damage.

3. Tighten flange head bolt to 88 N•m (65 lb-ft).

4. Install cap.

·
Registered
709 Posts
Rear Wheel

Removing and Installing Rear Wheel Assembly
Removing
1. Park machine safely. (See Parking Safely in the Safety section.)

c CAUTION: Avoid injury! The machine can fall or slip from an unsafe lifting device or supports.

• Use a safe lifting device rated for the load to be lifted.

• Lower machine onto jack stands or other stable supports and block wheels before servicing.

IMPORTANT: Avoid damage! Place jack stands under frame, not under transmission or engine, when raising or supporting machine.

2. Raise machine with a safe lifting device and lower machine onto jack stands or other stable supports. Block wheels remaining on the ground to prevent machine movement.

MX31037

Picture Note: Wheel may or may not have a cap (A) to remove when removing the wheel.

3. Remove the wheel bolts (B).

4. Remove the wheel assembly.

c CAUTION: Avoid injury! Explosive separation of tire and rim parts is possible when they are serviced incorrectly:

• Do not attempt to mount a tire without the proper equipment and experience to perform the job.

5. Take wheel assembly to an authorized service dealer for repairs.

Installing
1. Apply multipurpose grease to spindle shaft before installing wheel assembly.

2. Install wheel assembly with valve stem to the outside.

3. Tighten wheel bolts evenly in alternating sequence until snug.

4. Lower machine completely to the ground.

5. Tighten wheel bolts to 88 N•m (65 lb-ft).

·
Registered
165 Posts
Excellent, thanks for that info, my other concern was a reverse thread but you covered everything I need to know. I would like to say you're giving xcopterdoc some competition but you both are helping provide the needed information for us newbies, thanks.:)

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Nah just the tread that came with the machine is very knobby. I need to get low pressure turf tire.thanks

1 - 10 of 10 Posts