John Deere Gator Forums banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys, Im new here and just bought me a 2012 RSX that was a dealer demo with 18hrs and 90miles. I absolutely love it and Ive put 15mi on it and most of it being under 25-30mph doing some horsing around out in the field next to my house. Today I drove it 5miles down the road to a friends house and noticed the smell of oil on a hot surface. When I got there it looked like oil was coming out of the transmission dipstick and also leaking from behind the plastic on the drivers side where you get in the machine. I then pulled the dipstick and it appears the oil level is a good inch above the full range. I assume thats probably the reason its blowing oil out. Now it may just be that Im a little paranoid after seeing oil spew out of my new machine but It seems to me that my transmission has a slight chirp or squeal at low rpms cruising in gear or if you are in neutral at idle. Has anyone noticed this? I wondered if it was the secondary clutch? Im hoping its not the trans.

·
Registered
709 Posts
Mine had a little bit of belt low end squeal. It wasn't bad but it happened more at low speed. One thing with these smaller engines, make sure you run it! a quick run here, shut it off for a couple of hours and then a quick run there without letting it really warm up can cause some fuel to go into the crank case. That is normal but doing that a lot doesnt allow the gas to fully evaporate out of the crank, giving you a higher than normal oil reading.

·
Registered
140 Posts
Owners manual states that if your engine is at operating temp and you check it right away it is normal for the oil to be one inch over full on the dip stick.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts