John Deere Gator Forums banner

1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just bought a 2000 4x2 and was told that it's stuck in reverse. I disconnected the shift linkage from the selector and the selector on top of the transmission just spins. Help!!!!

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Managed to un stick the gears... progress! Now, I'm going to throw a new starter and battery in it and see if I can get it started.

·
Registered
150 Posts
What are you looking for in the serial number? Looks like a 4x2, and is the 66,039th one made. I'm sure others can get more out of it than me! haha

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Basically.... Yes! I did a little research and think it is a 2000 or 2001, but I still have no idea what model, or even if they used model numbers at that time

·
Super Moderator
2,845 Posts
Serial as best I can read is: W004X2X066039. Could someone desypher this for me please!

It looks like you have a 2001 model 4x2 Gator. Hope this helps?

·
Registered
152 Posts
since you're new to it, and it sounds like its been neglected... i would service the transmission while your messing around with it..
fluid 5 qts John Deere HY-guard TY6354
tranny additive for wet brakes pemo LVU11673 6oz
tranny drain plug o-ring CH10570

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
since you're new to it, and it sounds like its been neglected... i would service the transmission while your messing around with it..
fluid 5 qts John Deere HY-guard TY6354
tranny additive for wet brakes pemo LVU11673 6oz
tranny drain plug o-ring CH10570
Thanks for the advice. Unfortunately the place I bought it from just left it sit after the transmission "locked" in gear. It sat for over a year in the same spot.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Now, with the new starter and new battery, I'm getting power to everything except the starter. I can jump the starter and get it to spin, but it's not engaging the flywheel. Does this mean that the transmission is still in gear?

·
Registered
16 Posts
The neutral safety switch is actually threaded into the top of the transaxle, so if the transaxle is not in neutral, the switch will open the circuit from the ignition switch to the starter solenoid "trigger" wire. But you could simply unplug the switch & bypass it to check your cranking circuit.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
The neutral safety switch is actually threaded into the top of the transaxle, so if the transaxle is not in neutral, the switch will open the circuit from the ignition switch to the starter solenoid "trigger" wire. But you could simply unplug the switch & bypass it to check your cranking circuit.
I'll give that a try this weekend

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Ok, bypassed the neutral safety switch, got the engine to fire up and run on it's own power... still no gears

·
Registered
1,072 Posts
When you move the shift lever does the linkage on the transaxle move?

1 - 20 of 35 Posts