John Deere Gator Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Had a look through older threads but can't seem to find any info on how to take the transmission box out of my gator hpx. It will not select any gears so need to remove gear box.
Whats the best way to drop the transmission box out??
Thanks in advance for help.

·
Super Moderator
3,189 Posts
Had a look through older threads but can't seem to find any info on how to take the transmission box out of my gator hpx. It will not select any gears so need to remove gear box.
Whats the best way to drop the transmission box out??
Thanks in advance for help. View attachment 13488
Is the Gator hard to shift into and out gear ? or does the shifter move freely ?

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Its hard to move in and out of gear. Moves into 1 position only. Have the transmission out now just wondering how to start taking it apart?

·
Registered
1,304 Posts
I gather you haven't procured a technical manual to aid in your effort. :unsure: It might be worth it.

You can always refer to the illustrated parts drawings at jdparts.com. They're not the greatest, but it's better than nothing.

Post some pictures of your effort, so others can learn.

·
Super Moderator
3,189 Posts
Before you get to far on the transmission, are you confident the issue is with your primary drive Clutch? Often the primary clutch becomes or is sticky causing the issue in which you described. There are a gazillion threads on sticking primary clutch’s on the forum, use the search function to find threads.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
The lever on the physical gearbox is not moving. I hear something rattling inside. Not sure what way the box comes apart.

·
Super Moderator
3,189 Posts
The lever on the physical gearbox is not moving. I hear something rattling inside. Not sure what way the box comes apart.
You might consider picking up a copy of a OEM Technical Manual, they are generally available on eBay.

·
Registered
2 Posts
I am doing the same thing to my 2004 HPX. It has the same issues, won't shift when I get it in the one forward gear it'll grind. I just got it unbolted lowered it and it wedged against the starter :rolleyes:. Came in for lunch, needed to walk away from it. Cheers

1 - 8 of 8 Posts