John Deere Gator Forums banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am looking to install some turf friendly tires on my HPX because if the damage to the grass from the knobby tires. Anyone have any suggestions for a brand or the exactly what the tires are called ("turf friendly, low impact")

·
Registered
15 Posts
I too am looking for turf friendlier tires to use during the warmer months. My 620i gets a lot of farm use and less aggressive tires are easier on the machine and the terrain.

Has anyone ever tried running a lawn mover style tire? For example Carlisle makes a 6 ply in 24x12-12 that I think said has a 1200lb load capacity.

·
Registered
XUV 550 with Honda GX 630
865 Posts
I have Carlisle All Trail on my Gator 99% of the time. The tread life is great and they don't leave rubber when turning sharp on pavement and they ride smoother than most/all aggressive off road tires.

·
Registered
709 Posts
The new gators are running a Terra Hawk Tire from the factory (its an option). They seem to be a pretty good tire. Carlisle tires are pretty good as well. Just go to your local tire shop and ask them what they recommend

·
Registered
15 Posts
I bought some lawn mower tires to try. 23x10.50-12 on front and 24x12-12 on rear. The load rating on these mower tires is double that of the Carlisle All Trail, which I can use. Should be smooth on hard surface too, like concrete and blacktop. Now if I can just find the rims.

·
Registered
865 Posts
I considered lawn mower tires was concerned that the stiffer sidewalls would hurt ride quality. I bet the extra plies of the lawnmower tires will help with puncture resistance especially if you catch a sharp rock on the sidewall.

As for the rims have you searched online ATV tire retailers? They have a dizzying array of rims to choose from. I shopped around and found steel rims for less than $30 each. They are black and butt ugly so I mounted my aggressive tires on them and only use them when hunting in the swamps. The rest of the time (99%) is spent with the turf friendly tires and prettier rims.

·
Registered
15 Posts
I've looked at online atv tire stores but haven't had much luck. It's hard finding a 12" 5/4.5 wheel that's wider than 7". Which begs the question, what's the widest tire you can put on a 7" rim. I've gone up 1" or 2" before, but never 3"+. Is that possible?

Dane, do you remember where you got the rims online?

·
Registered
865 Posts
I'm pretty sure I ordered my rims from Disount UTV Tires .com. I think my rims are 6" wide on the front with 8" wide tires and my rear rims are 7" wide with 12" wide tires.

I did a tire/rim swap putting my Carlisle turf tires on the Deere yellow rims. I removed the stock Ancla's from the factory rims and put on the cheap black steel ITP rims. So, there was a bit of tire mounting and dismounting and there was no issue putting a 12" wide tire on a 7" wide rim.

·
Registered
15 Posts
I checked with discount utv tires. Even sent them an email. They had one tire with the right bolt pattern, but the offset is 2+5. I need a 5+2 offset (I'm pretty sure).

The search continues. I'm not paying $400 for a pair of rims. At least not yet.

·
Registered
15 Posts
My new turf tires came in. I will mount them next week and will post some before and after pics. I'll also give her a good cleaning too!

Attachments

·
Registered
15 Posts
They are Duro Commercial Turf tires. 23x10.50-12 (1340lb load rating) on front and 24x12-12 (1700lb load rating) on rear. Plan on mounting them tomorrow.

·
Registered
15 Posts
I got the turf tires on a couple of weeks ago. She doesn't look as mean, but the performance has been great. I could tell immediately that the gator handles and drives better. I have also been through both very rough and muddy terrain without any issue. So far, great summer tires.

Attachments

·
Registered
865 Posts
I'm glad they're working out. I leave my turf tires on 99% of the time. It's only the sloppiest conditions where I really need more aggressive tread.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Here's a little update. I have put on lots of hours this summer and these turf tires have worked out great. The wear has been minimal, almost nil, and they have handled loads very well. I have been in sloppy situations a couple of times and, in 4x4, tires pulled right out. I did have to correct a slight rubbing on front tires. But some spacers and all was fixed. I never did find any cheap used rims. I will be swapping back to the swamp witch tires once the fall rains start in a couple of months. I recommend these turf tires.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts