John Deere Gator Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Looking at buying a new HPX. Two questions, if you could help:

1. The electric/hydraulic bed lift. Is this really necessary, or a nice to have? If the bed is loaded, say with a load of dirt that is close to capacity (1000 lbs), can you reasonably lift it by hand or does it need the electric/hydraulic unit to lift? If you can reasonably do it by hand, then that saves me a thousand bucks almost.

2. Does the diesel engine start pretty well in winter? Really cold temps - like zero? Is there a block heater available for it?

Thanks.

Dave

·
Registered
709 Posts
1: That steel bed is pretty heavy. Add 1000 lbs makes it really heavy. The mount points for that bed are about 3-5 inches back from the tailgate, with about 25 inches forward of that. I would really spend the extra money on the lift. On the other hand, if you think you'll only use the dump bed once a year maybe it wont be such a huge deal, but YES it is heavy!

2. That Yanmar diesel does a pretty good job in the winter time. There is an engine coolant heater available for that machine but i do not see a BLOCK heater. The big thing with these small diesels is to cycle the key a couple of times, and it'll shake and shimmy for about a minute. But once it gets out of it's warm up, you should be good to go!

·
Registered
176 Posts
I put about 400lbs of crushed rock in my 550 and was barely able to get it dumped. After the first load I loaded it toward the back and that made it much easier. I'd say you need the lift.

·
Registered
904 Posts
I agree with DeereSales101. We have a old 6x4 diesel at work, just cycle the key several times. Works every time.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts