John Deere Gator Forums banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Greetings,

I have a TX gator WOTURFD00588xx. It has about 2271 hrs on it. This gator has an interesting erratic problem I hope you could all help me out with. The gator seems to start fine on initial startup when cold. You can drive it around for 15 minutes or so without any problems, on off etc. You can mash the throttle and push it just a little and it works fine. It seems to start up and run fine for a little while then it will not re fire back up after it is warmed up and stopped. The more you push the throttle you can hear the engine trying to run but it just wont fire. When it is warmed up in the shop on jack stands it seems to have a spark miss then it will take off. If you are pushing the throttle just a little it seems to work OK but if you hit it hard it just skips. Using a spark tester I can see spark when it is turning over and running. I have replaced the spark plug (NGKBPR2ES) fuel filter and changed the oil recently. This problem started at around 2260 hrs and has seemed to be getting worse. At 2118 a new J-D fuel pump was installed along with new lines. The engine has 150psi of compression. Upon removal of the spark plug after some driving there is some carbon on it but not terrible and it is not wet. Sometimes if the engine is trying to turn over if you only push on the throttle just a little it will fire up. I have adjusted the governor and throttle cable according to the service manual with no change. If it sits overnight it will fire right back up in the morning.

Also On 2260 hrs there was a complaint of a backfire so not sure if this might be related or not.

Thanks for any help
Sean

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Well I pulled the engine cover off (those lower bolts are a pain in the ass) and attempted to test my coil according to the service manual. Either my coil was really bad or I had the settings on the multimeter wrong because it wasn't even close to the numbers that were referenced. I checked the gap before moving forward and it was within spec. So I replaced the coil from J-D part #MIA11064 (AM133525) cleaned the magnets up on the flywheel with some fine sand paper gapped the new coil at .010 put it all back together and seems to be running fine now. Hope it continues to run 100%. Thanks for the tip.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts