John Deere Gator Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
159 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My winch has quit working recently and I'm curious what the cause may be. Does anybody know where the ground wire is on the winch that comes standard on the trail models? Fuse location? Ect.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Test the motor...??

Has it completely stopped working? If so…disconnect the two wires on the winch itself. You want to test the winch by bypassing the relay, switches and wiring….put the winch in “free Spool”. Pull out a foot or so of the wire rope to be sure it is disengaged.
With a small set of booster cables attach one clamp from a battery to one post on the winch. …attach the second booster cable clamp to the battery….carefully touch that last clamp on the second winch post…the winch motor should spin….reverse the connections to spin the other direction….If the motor is ok…..pull out a bit more wire rope and engage the winch to pull the cable…test the same way….watch your hands….might be better to have a helper to do this with you…Also warn will have the schamtics for that winch on their web site....it will help you to determine where the main ground is connected....I'm pretty sure its off the main relay to frame...

·
Registered
483 Posts
From what I see with winches, besides the fuse blowing, the solenoid is likely the next weak link in the system. The other aspect is the motor windings (open/short).

·
Registered
159 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I haven't had the time to tear into it yet. I'm just had to do some work on the winch on my truck, as luck would have it they've both gone out.

·
Registered
140 Posts
Just in a DTAC mood today unsure if this really is what's wrong with your winch but something to check

Solution Number: 98704

Solution Summary: 3000 lb Winch Can Fail - Utility Vehicles

Publication Date: Apr 28 2014

**Paper copies of solutions may not be the most current solutions**
Complaint or Symptom :

Winch contactor fails.
Problem or Situation :

Shipping hardware (screw) can interfere with cable and cause excess drag on winch cable.
Factory installed winch (RSX850i Trail package units only) - Shipping hardware was not removed when Gator built.
Dealer installed winch - Shipping hardware not removed, OEM instructions missed or not used. See additional information.
Solution :

Remove phillips screw from base of winch AFTER installation is completed. See 98704_1.jpg
Screw is located at base of motor on right (passenger) side of vehicle. Easiest to loosen screw then remove from winch using a magnetic retrieval tool or long needle nose pliers.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts