John Deere Gator Forums banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Question for the 4wheeler / side by side guys. My warn winch totally wadded up yesterday, today I get to straighten it out. Tips? Also I’m probably going to have to replace the cable come spring time. Who uses the synthetic rope? It’s rated higher than cable? I’m not looking for a higher rating, just wondering I if it’s easier to handle than cable .

·
Registered
16 Posts
Turn the winch knob so it free wheels, hook the cable to something immobile, slowly back up. I have done this for small tangles, I don’t know how tangled yours is.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Have a Warn Axon 55-s on my xuv865m. Have only used it a few times, but am extremely pleased with the synthetic rope. Easy to handle and doesn't kink. A pine tree about 20" dia fell across one of my trail roads. Only had a hatchet with me, chopped it about 3/4, hooked winch with block to it. Was able to break the rest and then pull to the side. Put a lot more force on the rope, than I normally would just being stuck in the mud. No problem, would buy again

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks Tbird, so you replaced the steel cable with the rope or yours came with rope? How does the rope attach, I don’t think it’ll fit in the same hole the cable goes in

·
Registered
371 Posts
I have a warn 3500 that I put synthetic on.
Went with A.R.E. 1/4" 50' spider silk on ebay mine cut the eye off the end slide it through the hole in the drum tie a knot in it give it a few yanks then spool up under a light load.

·
Registered
8 Posts
My winch came with the synthetic rope. Google how to change to synthetic rope..

converting a winch to use synthetic rope. The steel rollers on a conventional roller fairlead are not compatible to synthetic rope As they can cause chafing and abrasion. Most rope manufacturers recommend using an aluminum Hawse-type fairlead.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
TBird, my gator came with another roller set that’s different, I never knew what it was for, maybe it’s for that?

·
Super Moderator
3,189 Posts
TBird, my gator came with another roller set that’s different, I never knew what it was for, maybe it’s for that?

Warn does offer a different fairlead with larger rollers for use with synthetic rope when using a snowplow.

Perhaps this is what you received?

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I bought it all brand new from a dealer and they knew I was going to plow with it so maybe that fair lead is for plowing. I’m going to have to do some research. Thank you all for the help!

·
Super Moderator
3,189 Posts

·
Super Moderator
3,189 Posts
I believe that is what I have. So I should use a 10’ synthetic plow lead with this item ?

I certainly would recommend using the synthetic plow lead.

Are you also using synthetic rope on your winch during non-plowing seasons?

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
I am not using a synthetic lead. I’m using the original cable which wadded up while plowing, that’s the reason for this thread, looking at a synthetic replacement

·
Super Moderator
3,189 Posts
I am not using a synthetic lead. I’m using the original cable which wadded up while plowing, that’s the reason for this thread, looking at a synthetic replacement

Silly me my apologies!!

1 - 18 of 18 Posts