John Deere Gator Forums banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Had my RSX out on the weekend and went into some water crossing that I assumed wasn't too deep. Had the water level at about 2" above the floor, and then the belt started slipping. I was only in that deep of water for about 1 minute.

I am thinking that the belt should not have gotten wet that easily? I am suspicious of the belt cover not properly sealed for this reason: When I purchased this unit brand new from the dealer. They had told me that the engine had been replaced under warranty from JD due to a broken oil fitting or threads. So...... the local dealer replaced the engine with a new unit, all prior to the sale. I am thinking that maybe the tech working on it messed something up on the re-install?

Seems strange that it would get the belt wet that easy?
Any thoughts or experience on this subject?

·
Registered
146 Posts
I guess in a round about way I was asking if the dealer had made sure there was a plug installed. However, if you still were able to blow water out the belt vent, that probably isn't it. I can't imagine the housing itself is not installed right because there's about a gizzillion bolts (seems like it because you can't get to them) that hold on the housing. I almost didn't replace half of them because it seemed like overkill. I guess you could check em all to see if the housing is tight. Make sure you calendar about a 2 hour block of time to remove all the seat and equipment to do the proper check. And why your at it, might as well put on a new belt cause you'll soon realize that you don't want to have to tear it all down again in another 1000 miles. The RSX recommends a belt "inspection". If you inspect you better replace because it's a real PITA.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Is there a service manual or directions for servicing the drive belt? Why is it so difficult to access? The location?

. Make sure you calendar about a 2 hour block of time to remove all the seat and equipment to do the proper check. And why your at it, might as well put on a new belt cause you'll soon realize that you don't want to have to tear it all down again in another 1000 miles. The RSX recommends a belt "inspection". If you inspect you better replace because it's a real PITA.

·
Registered
146 Posts
The instructions are right in the owners manual. It's really not hard. Just time consuming and tedious. Definitely not a job you want to do out on a trail. You have to remove the seats, the cross member the seats sit on, the seat belt bracket (those nuts are extremely tight), the front drive shaft, and then the bolts that hold on the housing. In particular the bottom bolts and the bolts on the side beneath the driver's seat are particularly hard to get to. When you finally get everything unbolted you have to wrestle the housing around the drive shaft to remove it from the vehicle. Finally, the belt is extremely tight, the old one is not bad to remove. However, on my machine I had to spread the clutch with a stout piece of wood and have my neighbor help me spin it on. Don't get me wrong, I would have eventually got it on by myself, but a second set of hands definitely helped.

·
Registered
709 Posts
Yea i just replaced mine this weekend. It was kind of a pain, but i guess it could have been a lot worse. My only complaint is ya need so many different tools to do it, it would DEFINITELY not be an "on-trail" replacement.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts