John Deere Gator Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I purchased the 850 i solely on the reputation John Deere has. I wish I would have looked it over a little better before doing so through. After my water & mud in the dip stick issue I started to pay closer attention to the potential issues water may play with the machine. I now realize that a person would be taking a huge risk by taking this machine in water above 15" in depth, water has the potential not only to pass through the transmission dip stick tube but also into the air intake housing unit? this looks impressive enough from the outside but take a closer look. The clutch intake isn't even fastened to the breather box, they have a make shift drain diaphragm on the driver side of the box, the box doesn't have a water tight seal at all, and take a good look over the snorkel tube itself. After doing so you will realize that the whole air intake system needs to be replaced to ensure it has a water tight seal. The only thing good about the air intake is the filter.
I still need to look it over a little better, when I spoke not only to the mechanic but also the sale person about the water in the transmission, both of them immediately suggested the transmission breather line? Has this been an issue in the past I ask?

·
Registered
163 Posts
My boss bought his RSX a week after he drove mine. We went to the river ONE time with my son who has a new 900 Ranger with a 3" lift and 28" tires. My son had been a few times but it was both Gators first trip. The Ranger took the lead, and within 5 min, I was buried. Glad I had a winch installed. To make a long story short, the further we went, the deeper the water got. I was low I'm fuel and wasn't liking all the water, so I said see you boys I'm gone. My son called me 4hrs later and said he had to pull the RSX in because it hit some deep, 16-20" water and died. After 2500 in repairs, the boss is still having trouble with it. I think I'll keep mine in the desert, because it hasn't missed a bit!

·
Registered
43 Posts
I don't think I'm mechanically inclined to make it waterproof but I'm going to try there is got to be a way I would think. Stalling has got to be electrical some where n there may try some dielectric grease on the spark plugs wires had a HPX and that helped it alot. Have not had problem with the diff front or rear yet hope I dont. Treeshaker0507 how is the snorkel does it help and other than your mechanical problems how does your do in the mud and water when it is fixed, have not had a lot of time with mine yet other riding some dirt roads but plan on it soon.

·
Registered
904 Posts
I am moving and in the process I am gaining a shop. When I get settled in, I am gonna strip my RSX down and install winch, light bars, and dielectric grease every electrical connection. I am debating on the snorkels, but I am going to seal up everything factory except for air intakes and exhaust while it is torn down.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I drove mind for approx. 1.5 hrs on the weekend in 28c weather. I found it to run a little on the hot side is this normal? The fan would kick in and the temp would go down rather quickly.

·
Registered
146 Posts
Mine was running a little warmer than normal also. Try flushing the radiator fins. I was having a problem with low speed trail riding. Flushing the radiator helped quite a bit.

·
Registered
51 Posts
I've had mine in a lot of water and mud and one time in some really deep water but only for a few seconds. I am in the process of going completely through it at the moment I will keep you all posted

·
Registered
11 Posts
Check the vent lines on the diff. If you are in water higher than those you might suck water in the diff. Imagine what cold water would do to a hot diff... SNAP!

·
Registered
83 Posts
Mine stalled in 12" water and came out with around 10litres of water in the fuel tank, not sure how it got in there!

·
Registered
904 Posts
Mine stalled in 12" water and came out with around 10litres of water in the fuel tank, not sure how it got in there!
Might be the gas cap. Some did not have a good seal.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts