John Deere Gator Forums banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just picked up a new project. Some kind of older 6X4 with a water cooled 2 cylinder gas motor. I found a number stamped under the passenger seat on the frame that reads V006X4X065315. Going to need some parts and need to know what I have in order to order things. Also what engine is in it because there seems to be a problem with the rear cylinder.

·
Registered
709 Posts
Usually what you need to order parts is your serial number. The V is actually a W. Should either be a Kawasaki gas engine or a Yanmar diesel engine.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
What Year?

Thanks for the info. Its a gas motor with black plastic valve covers. Does that help ID the motor? Do you have any idea what year?

Usually what you need to order parts is your serial number. The V is actually a W. Should either be a Kawasaki gas engine or a Yanmar diesel engine.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Great info

Is it a common occurrence for a rear head to develop a crack?
Does anyone have a good rear head they want to get rid of?

Being I'm new here, who has the best price on engine and overall parts?

·
Registered
904 Posts
Welcome to the forum!!!!!!!!

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Update

Just wanted to update everyone. I pulled the rear head and it seems as of the water is somehow coming up into the rocker arm area and getting down through the valves. The head gasket appears to be fine. Any thoughts on how this could happen?

I'm going to strip it down and have it magnafluxed to see if anything comes up. Also I'm still wondering if anyone has one floating around.

Now I need all the gaskets to re install everything. Who has the best deals on parts?

One more thing. I did a compression check on the front cylinder and go 90 psi. How does that sound.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
New Update

Head has bad corrosion causing gasket to fail. I need a new rear one. Any ideas other than ebay?

What compression should these have?

Still looking for a good place for best price on parts? Is this some kind of secrete?

HELP

·
Registered
250 Posts
Compression shouldnt be any lower than 170psi. If possible check again with different gauge. I would do a complete teardown and have everything checked and measured before I repaired anything.

·
Registered
709 Posts
Why dont you just get John Deere Parts at a John Deere Dealer! At least you know the parts are right and the quality is where its supposed to be!

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Thanks again

DeereSales101, great response. The only thing with it is, every local dealer I have contacted doesn't carry much of what I need.

I guess I will just try on line.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts