John Deere Gator Forums banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello I'm new to the forum and just put on a windsheild,hard top, and hard back pannel. Its nice except the noise level seems to have doubled. so I was wondering if some of you have some QUIET mods ? Thanks in advance! Nick

·
Registered
904 Posts
It don't bother me to much....I have a radio and that helps. I would like to do something and insulate it some.

·
Registered
4 Posts
I noticed mine being pretty loud too. I have the front glass and top, no back. I took some 3/4" horse stall mat material and cut-to-fit floor mats and a bed mat. They seemed to help dampen to sound vibration/resonation through some of the body parts. Between that and turning the radio up, the noise is not too unbearable.

·
Registered
37 Posts
Noise and heat

I am running only the bottom part of the windshield and the Cab top. When the outside temp reached 90 it was getting awful uncomfortable. I just made these changes and it helped the noise and heat both a lot. Take the seats, floor pan, and the cover behind the floor pan by your heel out. The water lines run next to the drive shaft, I put a piece of black air conditioning tubing insulation
1 inch thick over these to get rid of the floor heat. Under the seats and behind your heel I used the duct board material that heat and air contractors use to contain the heat and noise, 1 side has foil on it and I used the foil barrier material put under metal roofs as a heat barrier to cover the other sides. U can by a foil tape that contractors use on duct work to hold all this together. Any place where there was room I insulated it to keep the noise and heat out of the drivers compartment, Be careful not to get any foil close to any electrical sources, and on the top of the engine I had a piece of high temp barrier material that is used in racing applications because of the high temp there, It came from Earl's who sell steel braided fuel lines. All these changes made a huge difference. The duct board was 1 inch thick I cut it a little big and squeezed it I to a lot of places or held it in with Ty wraps.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Noise and heat

I am running only the bottom part of the windshield and the Cab top. When the outside temp reached 90 it was getting awful uncomfortable. I just made these changes and it helped the noise and heat both a lot. Take the seats, floor pan, and the cover behind the floor pan by your heel out. The water lines run next to the drive shaft, I put a piece of black air conditioning tubing insulation
1 inch thick over these to get rid of the floor heat. Under the seats and behind your heel I used the duct board material that heat and air contractors use to contain the heat and noise, 1 side has foil on it and I used the foil barrier material put under metal roofs as a heat barrier to cover the other sides. U can by a foil tape that contractors use on duct work to hold all this together. Any place where there was room I insulated it to keep the noise and heat out of the drivers compartment, Be careful not to get any foil close to any electrical sources, and on the top of the engine I had a piece of high temp barrier material that is used in racing applications because of the high temp there, It came from Earl's who sell steel braided fuel lines. All these changes made a huge difference. The duct board was 1 inch thick I cut it a little big and squeezed it I to a lot of places or held it in with Ty wraps.
I have noticed that under my seats there are like 8x8 cut out that allow a lot of heat and noise into the cab. But i did not dare to cover with the fear of over heating. When you did your insulating did you cover these?

·
Registered
2 Posts
Exhaust extension

I have made a extension to get the noise out from under the bed which seems to have helped with the echoing under the bed. I am also trying to eliminate a lot of the vibration noise. I notice that i do not use the dump at all and i am going to try mounting the bed solid and eliminate the dump. The bed seams to be considerably noisy.

·
Registered
37 Posts
I have insulated everyplace that I could to keep the heat awAy from the riders compartment. In front of the floorboard to keep the heat from the radiator away, wraped the radiator hoses with air conditioning black foam tubing under the floor, and under the seats and behind your feet I have as much insulation and heat barrier as possible, I have kept the radiator clean and with only one person trail riding, and not nessarily hard ridding in 90 degree heat the temp gauge will occasionally get two black bars, but the fan cools it down quickly. All the insulation definitely has helped the heat and noise and has not made it run hotter. When I raced mini-sprints with 600cc cycle engines on methanol, overheating was a problem and we would cut the centers out of the thermostats to increase coolant flow. We would not take the thermostat completely out because the coolant needs time to absorb the heat from the engine. This would maybe help in the summertime. Sounds like these engines just produce a lot of heat, I have to wander what the long term reliability will be with the Valves and piston rings and bearings. Engine oil changes and the correct oil will be important under these conditions!

·
Registered
11 Posts
Last episode of Dirt Trax showed some floor mat foam that you cut yourself. They used it and said it really cut down noise.

·
Registered
8 Posts
I purchased a device you slip on the tailpipe of you factory muffler, it's called The Silent Rider. Cuts noise down by 60% maybe when you are running high RPM's you might get 40% reduction. I paid 186.00 but it's worth cutting the engine noise down. When I get my cab I will still try some additional sound proofing material. The device is made my Quad Fab, quality product.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I purchased a device you slip on the tailpipe of you factory muffler, it's called The Silent Rider. Cuts noise down by 60% maybe when you are running high RPM's you might get 40% reduction. I paid 186.00 but it's worth cutting the engine noise down. When I get my cab I will still try some additional sound proofing material. The device is made my Quad Fab, quality product.
Thanks for all the replies! Well I have cut down the noise level a lot, and I just ordered this exhaust silencer so I think I'm done.
I took the whole cab off and lined all the plastic parts bottom sides with Stinger RKX36B Road Kill. It's a real sticky puddy with a aluminum sheeting on one side. It comes in sheets you can cut to size the slap it on and it stays. I think it weighed like 26 pounds for 48 sq/ft. On the roof I used Dynamat 11102 Dynaliner 32" x 54" x 1/4" Thick Self-Adhesive Sound Deadener.
These two items have really cut down the Vibration and a lot of noise and have to believe with this exhaust silencer it will be at the sound level I'm looking for ! Nick

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I will be returning the Silent Rider It quieted the motor but took at least 33% of the power also !! It was totally unacceptable hard time getting up a hill ! I also discovered that most the noise is coming from the air intake being right behind you. I will work on that next. :)

·
Registered
58 Posts
So is anyone running a snorkel kit? I ordered a kit from snorkelmyatv.com and it should arrive later this week. I am thinking that the intake and belt noise should be reduced a bit by raising the air inlets? I dunno.....maybe it'll get worse!
The main reason I bought it was to get the air inlet up and out of the dust. It was pretty cheap.....$220
I'll let you know how it goes.

·
Registered
58 Posts
I am also going to fab up a fabric rear cab enclosure. (I have a small upholstery shop). The plan is to sandwich some 1/2" foam between some material and have the cover start at the bottom rear of the seats and then change over to a really strong screen material at about shoulder height. I will post some pics once complete. I am hoping that this will kill some of the noise and dust issues as well

·
Registered
6 Posts
1 - 17 of 17 Posts