John Deere Gator Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
JD says cleaning Gator XUV835 polycarbonate windshield with regular windshield washer fluid will ruin it.

Um ... huh? First thing I did when I found the reservoir was fill it with the normal blue stuff. Now I'm supposed to drain it out and not use it, I suppose.

Instead, JD sells a $19 + SH, to clean it. Better not use the other stuff, they say.

Anyone paying 19 bucks to fill up their washer bottle!?

If not, what are you using, and to what result? Apparently this stuff is Lexan.

Thanks

·
Super Moderator
2,970 Posts

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)

·
Super Moderator
2,970 Posts
Thanks Bradhill! I bought it. I'll use it in the summer, but will need to remember to drain it in the winter. It's not freeze proof. They make one that is but it has alcohol and I'm not sure about that with this windshield. I'd like to have the MSDS on the John Deere recommended fluid:

https://www.greenpartstore.com/John-Deere-Polycarbonate-Window-Cleaner-and-Wash-TY27683-TY27682.html

Deere should be able to provide MSDS on their products-I believe they are required by law, to do so.

I would contact Green Farm Parts or your local dealership to obtain a copy of the MSDS.

·
Registered
1,175 Posts

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Wow - that's an awesome resource. Thanks 200.

·
Registered
1,175 Posts
The windshield in my 865r gator is glass. I think that reference in the manual is a copy paste error from and old model.
Consider yourself lucky. Not all windshield options are glass. A majority of them are not and require special attention to prevent scratching, hazing and crazing.

·
Super Moderator
2,970 Posts
The windshield in my 865r gator is glass. I think that reference in the manual is a copy paste error from and old model.

Consider yourself lucky. Not all windshield options are glass. A majority of them are not and require special attention to prevent scratching, hazing and crazing.

@200mph during your research did you come across the types of any special coatings that are applied to the polycarbonate to help minimize scratching?

I wonder how these coatings withstand the pressure/movement of wipers across a windshield contaminated with dust, dirt, bird droppings, etc?

·
Registered
38 Posts
Good point. I’m not sure what the OP has, but I thought it was an 835 with a factory cab—which should be glass

·
Registered
1,175 Posts
Various hard coatings can be applied to polycarbonate to improve durability against wear. They make a big difference as uncoated material will scratch very easily. I wouldn't buy without some type of hard coating especially if contemplating a wiper.

Various coatings can be applied, but I'm not aware of anything that can be applied at home. The best one can typically do is to make certain the vendor will certify a hard coating has been applied. Yes, there are differences between the coatings and how durable they are, but any hard coating will be vastly superior compared to uncoated.

More than 25 years ago a supplier sent samples of hard coating examples for a product I was developing. It came with a few 2"x3" polycarbonate plaques and steel-wool. The uncoated scratched immediately while some samples were almost impervious to the steel-wool. I was shocked at the difference they make.

These are the same type of coatings applied to eye wear to improve durability.

·
Super Moderator
2,970 Posts
Various hard coatings can be applied to polycarbonate to improve durability against wear. They make a big difference as uncoated material will scratch very easily. I wouldn't buy without some type of hard coating especially if contemplating a wiper.

Various coatings can be applied, but I'm not aware of anything that can be applied at home. The best one can typically do is to make certain the vendor will certify a hard coating has been applied. Yes, there are differences between the coatings and how durable they are, but any hard coating will be vastly superior compared to uncoated.

More than 25 years ago a supplier sent samples of hard coating examples for a product I was developing. It came with a few 2"x3" polycarbonate plaques and steel-wool. The uncoated scratched immediately while some samples were almost impervious to the steel-wool. I was shocked at the difference they make.

These are the same type of coatings applied to eye wear to improve durability.

Amazing information Thank you!

1 - 13 of 13 Posts