John Deere Gator Forums banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
V006X4X048352 is the serial number. How the heck do you decode it? I want to know year, model, or anything else important!

I'm looking at buying this gator, and I don't know much about them. It has 187 hours on it, and they're asking $5,400. Is that a good deal??

Thanks in advance!!

·
Registered
250 Posts
Build date of Jan 24, 2000. Dont know prices. maybe Our resident sales guru will chime in. I'm just a lowly technician...

·
Registered
709 Posts
Machine Build Date : 24 Jan 2000
Description : 6X4 UTILITY VEHICLE CP
Kawasaki Gas Engine

Those are a pretty good machine. Being 14 years old, you can get a new one for around 8,000-8,500.

So that price seems a bit high to me. I'd think more in the 4-4500 range personally.

·
Registered
250 Posts
Kawasaki Gas Engine

Those are a pretty good machine. Being 14 years old, you can get a new one for around 8,000-8,500.

So that price seems a bit high to me. I'd think more in the 4-4500 range personally.
Quick reply! On yur A game there DeereSales! lol!

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Kawasaki Gas Engine

Thank GOD i asked you! I thought I was getting a heck of a deal because it only had 187 hours on it. What do I know, though? I'm just a girl...trying to be a farmer! ;)

Now, i don't want to ruffle any "gator feathers" but I would also like some opinions on my situation.....

I am leasing a horse farm and will have approximately 10-13 horses on the property. I wanted a gator so that I could drag my outdoor arena and also cart hay out to the pastures without tearing up the "barely there" grass/mud. Ideally, I would LOVE to be able to buy round bales and put them out in the pasture, but you need a tractor with a fork lift prong-thingy to lift up the round bales and move them around. Although I don't think the additional cost of buying a used tractor would ever compensate me for the lower cost of round bales... I would still be spending more on buying the vehicle instead of savings in roundbales vs. small square bales. Thoughts?

If I can only afford one vehicle, what would you go with? Gator or Tractor?

Keep in mind we are leasing this property, and I'm not sure how long we will be in the "farming" business for. :)

·
Registered
3 Posts
HELP!!!! New member and I could really use some seasoned experts HELP! I recently purchased a Gator 4x2 and apparently a previous owner removed the barcode/serial number tag from the rear plate where they're usually found. Is there any other way of determining year and model since I'd like to buy some parts and fix it up a bit. It has the rectangular shaped head lights if that helps? I sure hope there's a hidden serial number stamped in the framework somewhere. I hope an expert can come to my rescue! Thanks and hope to visit the site often...Shoesone the newbie!

·
Registered
250 Posts
Look under the passenger seat on top of the frame. Also look under the hood for a small sticker attached to a frame member.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Doc,

No such luck (at least on a cursory inspection) didn't see anything on the framework under the seats......your second suggestion was under the "hood" did you mean remove the hood to find this one? Sorry Bud' but REAL STUPID in this department....Help a dummy out.

·
Registered
250 Posts
He didn't ask what the year was, he asked how to find out what it is!!!!

build date of jan 24, 2000. Dont know prices. Maybe our resident sales guru will chime in. I'm just a lowly technician...
I guess I was thrown off by the title of the post that said.. "WHAT YEAR IS MY GATOR".
So.. now the rest of the story.. PIN or VIN numbers on off road equipment dont always have the details that cars and trucks do. On John Deere stuff you can usually pick out the model number and thats about it unless you go to the Dealer and get the info. For Example.. W006x4x******, would indicate a 6x4 with a gas engine. If it was a diesel it would be something like W006x4d******. Those are the only "decoding" things I am aware of.

·
Registered
50 Posts
Back to the question of tractor vs gator......
That is a very tough question only you can decide. I have both.
It's really 3 choices. A tiny tractor with a front end loader would sure make cleaning stals easier as well as moving things around without having to lift them yourself. To lift a round bail though you need a much larger tractor with a bail spear on the 3point or on a loader. These get big for maneuvering around and tend to rip up the ground. A gator excels at getting you and a friend to and from place to place easily and of course it will transport your bails and stall debris once you load it in.
Depending on your budget and the Craigslist market in your area you could probably pick up both an small old tractor with loader and an old Gator for the cost of a new Gator.
Good luck with the farm, it sounds like an exciting business venture.

·
Registered
21 Posts
A tractor is a piece of work equipment.
A gator is a toy masquerading as work equipment.
I see where you are coming from. But, a UTV can do some meaningful work. It is all about perspective. I have a 1953 Ford Farm tractor and a Gator 850D UTV on my 11 acres property. When I was clearing our wooded land in preparation for building our home the tractor was very useful. Now that we have all the rough work done the UTV is really all we need for brush trimming/hauling, fence repair, etc. The tractor is used very rarely.

Maybe one day I'll spring for a CUT as it would be more useful than the old farm tractor. But, I'll keep the Gator too.

Paul.

·
Registered
1 Posts
What Year Is My Gator

I feel dumb asking this, but I can't seem to find this one anywhere. Any help would be appreciated:
W004X2X003204

·
Registered
3 Posts
Hey guys hope someone can tell me the yr of my gator, just recently bought her from a friend of mine and he's not sure of the yr. I've looked everywhere I can't find my specific PIN number--w006x4x013751--
If anyone could help me It would be greatly appreciated.

·
Registered
1 Posts
looking for year on hpx gator 4x4

Hi! I am also looking for the year of my gator. the pin number is MOHP4GX017613 and its an hpx gator. Thank you in advance!

1 - 20 of 22 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.