John Deere Gator Forums banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Can you run different size (height) tires and wheels front to rear on a 550XUV Gator without damaging the drive train?

·
Administrator
3,821 Posts
Can you run different size (height) tires and wheels front to rear on a 550XUV Gator without damaging the drive train?
The height must be the same front to rear.

·
Registered
391 Posts
Expanding on what Brad said, the tires must be the same diameter as the 4WD differential rotations must match. That said, there are narrower tires up front typically. Also you can use different rims with suitable profile tires which have turning clearances. If you are interested in street rims and DOT tires, they are out there as well.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Expanding on what Brad said, the tires must be the same diameter as the 4WD differential rotations must match. That said, there are narrower tires up front typically. Also you can use different rims with suitable profile tires which have turning clearances. If you are interested in street rims and DOT tires, they are out there as well.
That is what I was thinking. I bought a 550 that has 26-10-12 front and 27-12-12 rear. I am getting a loud "pop" from under the seat when moving. My hope is that significant damage has not already happened and correcting the tire size will cure this. Will 26-10-12 tires fit the rims currently mounted with 27-12-12? The front tires seem to have adequate clearance.

·
Registered
1,891 Posts
Dose it pop when in 2-wheel drive?

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Have not driven it far enough to be sure, but I think it is only 4wd at this point.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Dose it pop when in 2-wheel drive?
Ok, So update. Yes it does seem to "pop" in 2wd . Not consistent. Sometimes it is fine, then it starts and continues. Again, had different size (height) tires front to rear when I bought it. Seller said he bought it that way and had only put @60 hours on it since purchase.
Important questions are:
What might be failing?
What is the repair?
Where do I find parts?
Last one I do not want to ask, How much cost?

·
Registered
1,891 Posts
It could be almost anything from U-joints to the cage that holds the rollers for 4wheel drive are damaged and the rollers are grinding away inside.

You’re going to have to do some major inspection on your part or take it some place to diagnose.

I wouldn’t drive it any more until the problem is found. You can look up the various part illustration jd has and see first hand what they cost.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Not driving until I replace tires with correct size (already have new tires, just need to get mounted to rims). I assume U-joints would show damage by a simple "shake" test? If it is related to the 4wd "cage" would you expect to still hear it in 2wd?

·
Registered
1,891 Posts
I believe it could happen in 2-wheel if the parts broke apart and hitting any rotating component in the drivetrain.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I believe it could happen in 2-wheel if the parts broke apart and hitting any rotating component in the drivetrain.
All drive shafts and axels seem to be tight. So it would seem to be a problem in the rear transaxle case? I only see one set of gears in there (parts diagram) so seems unlikely. What other geared interface is there? I am not seeing a good parts breakdown to start my search from.

·
Registered
1,891 Posts
1 - 12 of 12 Posts