John Deere Gator Forums banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
131 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I started buying, refurbishing and selling 6x4's about 10 years ago, partly for the moneys, but mostly because I thought they were the most purpose-built and highly engineered machines on the planet. I used to buy 6x4's in decent or better shape for $1500, total crap for less than $1000. Now they don't exist at any price under $5k and then they're what I used to buy for half the price. So what gives? Are these things finally getting the love they deserve? Or are they just fading into the dustbins of history? Don't care, if you've got one, I want it!

·
Registered
53 Posts
I jumped on my 2002 Trail Gator 6x4 450 hrs. last year,for 3200, and drove 400 mi each way in the same day to get it. I agree, seeing the asking prices on Marketplace today, they are quite spendy. My 4x2 is the same year, with 4500 hours, and I only gave 1k for it. Runs like a top, all orignal, never been opened up.

·
Registered
2,599 Posts
Can you spell inflation!!! 😂

Reactions: Bradhill

·
Registered
1 Posts
I started buying, refurbishing and selling 6x4's about 10 years ago, partly for the moneys, but mostly because I thought they were the most purpose-built and highly engineered machines on the planet. I used to buy 6x4's in decent or better shape for $1500, total crap for less than $1000. Now they don't exist at any price under $5k and then they're what I used to buy for half the price. So what gives? Are these things finally getting the love they deserve? Or are they just fading into the dustbins of history? Don't care, if you've got one, I want it!
You wouldn’t happen to have any parts your willing to sell would you? I have a 97 6x4 diesel I fixing for my wife to use on her flower farm. I bought it at an auction sight unseen, mostly. Come to find out it’s missing some stuff. I’m looking for an adapter shaft that connects flywheel to primary clutch. Or do you know where I can get one? JD no longer sells them.

·
*In memory and respect- RIP*
4,314 Posts
You wouldn’t happen to have any parts your willing to sell would you? I have a 97 6x4 diesel I fixing for my wife to use on her flower farm. I bought it at an auction sight unseen, mostly. Come to find out it’s missing some stuff. I’m looking for an adapter shaft that connects flywheel to primary clutch. Or do you know where I can get one? JD no longer sells them.
Check with The Gator Guy at thegatorguy.net

Reactions: FF/medic

·
Registered
2018 TX Gator with only 300 hours
7 Posts
Have you checked with Power Sports Nation, in Norfolk, NE? Huge parts salvage outfit. I found a ROPS setup for my TX4x2. FEMCO, who makes them, is out of stock and will not make any until next year. Can’t get anybody to work.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Recently bought a '95 6x4 for $3500. They almost never come up for sale, so I paid what was asked as he had over a dozen people lined up to buy it after me. Supposedly was sitting for over 2 years as the PO was an older lady that had it to putter around her property.

At present I am debating a motor rebuild as it had a coolant leak between the case and cover, and discovered the governor had come to pieces inside after getting the cover off.

Seemed to run decent, no smoking. I am torn between a rebuild or just getting it running for now.

·
Registered
10 Posts
I'm embarrassed to say what I paid for my 6x4 (How much were they new?). At least it was from the original owner, garage kept, dealer serviced, and had only slightly over 600 hours on it. Pretty good condition for being nineteen years old.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts