John Deere Gator Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a th6x4. One day it wouldn’t crank, we use it daily. After jacking around I have positively confirmed the ignition switch is good. The signal wire was bad so I ran a new wire and now the start relay clicks. I can run a wire from the battery to the signal terminal on the solenoid and it cranks. I get full volts through the signal wire when unhooked but it reads like 54v when hooked up. I don’t get what the 54v comes from? And I ohms tested the solenoid ground back to the battery at 4.2 ohms. What is going on??

·
Registered
785 Posts
54 volts sounds like phantom voltage. Was the voltage on your meter jumping around a bit?

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
54 volts sounds like phantom voltage. Was the voltage on your meter jumping around a bit?
It goes all over the place until I put it to the battery and then it straightens out and read accurately, it does it all the time. This time it settled at 54.4 on a few double checks. That can’t be right so I don’t what it means.

·
Registered
1,531 Posts
Getting 54 volts out of a 12 volt system is incredible.

Is any other power source or extension cord laying on the machine?

Have you tried another test meter?

·
Registered
1,531 Posts
Have you found the source causing the voltage multiplier (54 VDO) yet?

Perhaps disconnect other electrical devices/circuits just to see if it disappears.(charging, lighting, spark/coil, etc)

·
Registered
7 Posts
Are you sure it's 54 volts and not 5.4 volts?
Some DVM's go haywire with open sources.
Zero the meter leads. 4.5 ohms is not much but may be enough to indicate a bad ground.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts